Rainelle Reunion Discussion
Rainelle Reunion Discussion
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Snitz Forums 2000
 Rainelle Information
 Rainelle Trivia Questions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dale Tincher 64 Posted - 04/30/2009 : 12:14:10
Hello everyone. J.L. Holsberry is sending some interesting Rainelle trivia questions. If you know the answer, please feel to post it to the discussion board or send me your answer and I will post it to the board with your name (unless you tell me not to use your name.) Thanks, J.L.! (For more interesting trivia that was posted in the past, see "Do you remember?" Dale

Question 1:
Who named the current streets in Rainelle?

Dale Tincher - Class of 64
919-272-8052
dale.tincher@rainellereunion.com
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gridironmike Posted - 02/21/2020 : 16:13:08
quote:
Originally posted by Evelyn Utterback Drake 56

What year did we have to forfeit the undefeated football play-offs. This was under the leadership of Paul Miller and was due to alleged playing with an over-age player. What year and what player

quote:
Originally posted by n/a

I believe it was 1953 and the player was Bob Houchins.

J.L.

Class of 1957

It was actually the first three games of the 1952 season. Rainelle had defeated Nicholas County 31-20, Richwood 38-14, and Alderson 20-13. On October 22, 1952, W.R. Fugitt, Executive Secretary of the State High School Athletic Association, announced that RHS voluntarily forfeited it's first three games (Houchins was hurt in practice after the Alderson win and hadn't appeared in the other four Ranger victories) due to use of an ineligible player. Houchins' elementary school records were used when he transferred from Webster Springs in the 9th grade, and those records indicated his birthday was September 9, 1933. It was later learned that his actual birthdate was August 9, 1933, and Fugitt recognized the error as an honest mistake. Rainelle not only forfeited the three game Houchins had played in, but also the #1 ranking in the Class B playoff standings. The forfeit win vaulted Summersville into the #1 spot in Class A. At the point of the forfeit, Rainelle had won 17 straight and 22 of 23. Rainelle won their final two games of the season and would've finished 9-0.

quote:
Originally posted by Dale Tincher 64

What 2 RHS football coaches, coached against each other in the WV North-South football game?

Jimmy Scott and Bill Moore. Scott coached RHS from 1935-40 compiling a 25-16-3 record* while Moore led the Rangers from 1941-42 going 8-4-1*. They faced each other in the 1951 North-South game as the head coaches at Parkersburg and Oak Hill, respectively. The game was played at Laidley Field on Friday August 17, 1951. Attendance was 19,051. The game was a display of North rushing and defense as the South never made it inside the North 35 and only totaled 32 yards of offense (16 rushing and 16 passing). The North had 290 total yards of offense in the 27-0 win.

RJHS '84
Joan Rosewell M 55 Posted - 09/11/2009 : 14:43:39
quote:

More great questions from J.L.

Square/Round dances were sometimes held upstairs in the K of P building. What family generally played for those dances?

Rainelle Dept. Store scrip coins had what alphabet letter cut out of it? And what did the letter signify? (J.L. said, "I learned about this from "Tink" Collins at the last reunion."

On either side of the front entrance to the Pioneer Hotel, there were two businesses, what were they and who ran them?

To the East of the hotel was a Gulf service station and to the right was Dover's Grill, run by Jim Dover, at least "way back when".

Dr. W.R. "Butch" Davis' son, Browning, to make some money for college went door-to-door selling products. What products or what would he have been called?

Going on Rt. 60 before the dog-legged left known as Mile's curve, there was a pull off spot on the right, What was its name?

The "I" formation was developed by Tom Nugent at the University of Maryland, and the spread formation at Texas Christian U. Who was the first coach in the Greenbrier County Athletic Conference to intoduce those formation into the GVAC.

919-272-8052

Joan Rosewell M 55 Posted - 09/11/2009 : 14:39:17
[quote]Originally posted by Joan Rosewell M 55

[quote]Originally posted by Dale Tincher 64

The apartment complex that was across the street from New River Supply, what was its name?

Goff Apartments
Joan Rosewell M 55 Posted - 09/11/2009 : 14:38:00
quote:

The apartment complex that was across the street from New River Supply, what was its name?

ML2006 Posted - 09/07/2009 : 02:04:59
quote:

What family held principal stock in Meadow River Lumber Co?

919-272-8052

Raines
ML2006 Posted - 09/07/2009 : 02:03:38
quote:

What family from up on Sewell Mountain delivered milk door-to-door in Rainelle?

919-272-8052

Sims family. We got our buttermilk from them for years.
ML2006 Posted - 09/07/2009 : 02:01:26
quote:
Originally posted by Connard Estep 53

quote:

Another good one from J.L.:
Who came up with the name: Sam Eagle?

JL do you know what the term " Sam Eagle refers to " ? I would bet that very few readers knows.

i heard that hundreds of times but have no idea what it means nor where it originated...tell us...
ML2006 Posted - 09/07/2009 : 01:58:40
quote:

What family held principal stock in Meadow River Lumber Co?

919-272-8052

Dale Tincher 64 Posted - 08/17/2009 : 11:45:06
J.L. sent some more historical information:
There were a few bands that played for dances at RHS: the Concord Commanders and a group from Charleston from the Guthtrie Music Company. My father and others had a band too that played for dances. Here is a web site that my parents and others of my generation had contact with. Of course, during WW II we grew up with the Big Bands and Swing tunes.

http://www.redhotjazz.com/pwo.html
Dale Tincher 64 Posted - 08/10/2009 : 09:34:16
You are correct, Tom Rider - it was Slabtown. Gerry Mitchell placed some pictures of Slabtown (and more) in the Meadow River Lumber Company sideshow.

J.L. has an additional trivia question:
Who was Howard Grey's private secretary for many years?
Connard Estep 53 Posted - 08/08/2009 : 08:58:03
quote:

Another good one from J.L.:
Who came up with the name: Sam Eagle?

JL do you know what the term " Sam Eagle refers to " ? I would bet that very few readers knows.
Ron Estep 57 Posted - 08/07/2009 : 22:29:33
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Rider 66

quote:

Another question from J.L.
What did the oldtimers call East Rainelle?

919-272-8052

Slabtown

It was called slabtown
Tom Rider 66 Posted - 08/07/2009 : 20:43:57
quote:

Another question from J.L.
What did the oldtimers call East Rainelle?

919-272-8052

Slabtown
n/a Posted - 05/21/2009 : 03:39:49
I believe it was 1953 and the player was Bob Houchins.

J.L.

Class of 1957
Evelyn Utterback Drake 56 Posted - 05/20/2009 : 14:26:29
What year did we have to forfeit the undefeated football play-offs. This was under the leadership of Paul Miller and was due to alleged playing with an over-age player. What year and what player

Rainelle Reunion Discussion © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page