Rainelle Reunion Discussion
Rainelle Reunion Discussion
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Snitz Forums 2000
 Rainelle Information
 "Classmates remembering their teachers"

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Andy Aide Pendleton 64 Posted - 02/27/2006 : 21:11:25
I had attended and received my education from Rainelle Elementray and high school for twelve years. During my grade school years I became familiar with the name and sounds of Miss West.

Being a student in grade school, a familiar sound was heard from Miss West's office .
You see, Inside the Elementray building was the Rainelle gym where Miss West was the physical education teacher for the high school.. her office was in a little room in the grade school building with a place for her sports equipment...as a grade school student I would occassionaly hear Miss West using the big paddle with holes in it on a student. "WACK was the sound".

Miss West was a rather large person with a voice that was in reference to a drill sergeant, which I was concerned about as I entered into the seventh grade.
Of course, Miss West was my gym teacher. All the students of her gym class wore those maroon one piece gym suits... UGH. My very first encounter with Miss West was my very first gym class. Yes, I had forgotten my gym suit at home, so I had to wear my shorts...Our class came out onto the football field, we all lined up with everyone being in their proper attire except for me....I was trembleing..when she came up to me I thought to myself I am going to get it. Miss West approached me asked where my gym suit was with her rough voice, the tear started to flow,, she just took a step forward and put her big arms around me and said be sure and bring it to class tomorrow....you can be sure I never forgot my gym clothes...

I remember Miss West and her trampoline..she guarded and protected her students as to no accidents would occur...she had a trampoline team with a student or two from each class that would perform....I was lucky enough to be her seventh grade student on her team.

Sadly Miss West became ill and died with cancer while I was in the eigth grade.....My mother never did tell me that she was sick until she died...she came up to me and told me that she had died .. big tears began to flow, my mother said she was being buried beside my grandmother, my mother's mother. I do visit her grave.

Miss West was well respected and loved by all her girls and the entire school.....She had the best GAA (Girls Athletic Association).

In the short time I knew Miss West, she became so dear to me...Miss West was not the big bear that I had imagined from my grade school years, She was simply the teddy bear whom I loved....

Andy
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dale Tincher 64 Posted - 05/07/2007 : 15:04:51
An idea - these are two sections on the discussion board that contain warm, wonderful tributes to some of our great teachers. If you know a teacher or a teacher's children, it would probably make their day to receive the printed tribute along with a note from you telling them how much the teacher meant to you. If there are no comments and a teacher meant a lot, a card from you would brighten their day and probably go on their refrigerator door. Dale

Dale Tincher - Class of 64
919-272-8052
dale.tincher@rainellereunion.com
jwpuckett71 Posted - 05/04/2007 : 14:22:03
I was an East Rainelle "grade schooler" and only got to attend RHS through the 9th grade before the consolidation. I think I remember every teacher in the school those 3 years, but Ginny took me under her wing and guided me not only through my 3 years at Rainelle but through my Greenbrier West years, too. When my wife Julie began teaching at East Rainelle Elementary in 1979, Ginny's husband Al was her principal. Two of the best examples I can think of for how to "do it right" when it comes to life. During my last 2 years in high school, Giny & I traveled around the state quite a bit with Hi-Y meetings as she'd guided me into holding State Offices both years. On more than one occasion, someone would see us together and (seeing my red hair) ask, "Is that your son, Ginny?" More often than not, she'd laugh and say, "Yes, he's one of them." Like Donny said in his post above, those lessons that folks like Ginny taught us about respect and hard work are sorely missed by too many youth in today's society.

I remember vividly the first time I went to the Methodist Church for an FCA meeting. That library seemed HUGE! Having attended church there for the past 27+ years, I realize it's nowhere near as enormous as it seemed then.

Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind.......
Dale Tincher 64 Posted - 03/24/2007 : 18:08:03
Gerry Mitchell scanned some pictures, from copies of prior scans, of some of our teachers who may be at the reunion if we are fortunate. Some of the photos were small and the Kodak slideshow stretched them. Additionally, as you will see, yearbook scans have ingrained patterns. Gerry did a very nice job on a difficult project. Enjoy them at http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=u46feyk.b9xeprxg&x=0&y=622t4e

Note: There are other appreciative notes and memories about teachers in other postings, including http://www.rainellereunion.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=74

919-272-8052
ML2006 Posted - 07/29/2006 : 16:13:17
Hi Harry. Welcome to the board. I look forward to reading other memories or Rainelle that you share on here.
HaroldThompson Posted - 07/29/2006 : 15:43:27
I finished Jr High School at Rainelle in 1980, but as I was reading about favorite teachers a few names brought back some very fond memories.

Singing songs like Maresy Dotes was one of the highlights of having Mrs. McCall as my 5th grade teacher. Interesting how little things like that tend to make one feel complete.

I just loved Don Smith. His mischievious nature made learning a lot of fun, and I still rely on some of his techniques when nothing else seems to work.

Mrs. Kessler: she taught as much common sense as she did Science and English. She was always there to talk to after school and on the weekends if needed. She got me through a LOT of rough personal
times. To this day I thank her for helping to make life a little more survivable.

I'm part of your children's generation, but the memories of experiences with these wonderful people are very much worth sharing.

THANX!

Harry
Dale Tincher 64 Posted - 07/10/2006 : 00:07:19
Warren Napier had sent a very nice comment earlier about Mr. Johnson. I asked him if I could post it to the board. It follows.
_____

I remember Harold Johnson fondly. Many of us knew him first as "Coon" Johnson when he played sousaphone in the band. When he came back as our band director, it felt strange and a challenge to remember we then had to call him "Mr." Johnson.

Naturally, we found Mr. Johnson a bit strict at times, but he made us all proud of being in the band, such an important part of our high school lives.

I join those who feel they never had a bad teacher at RHS--looking around at the experiences of people in other places and at our world today, we were blessed with teachers who cared about teaching and about us as individuals.

Warren Napier
ML2006 Posted - 06/25/2006 : 02:26:20
I also just now remembered Mrs. Watts. I don't think I had her as a teacher at East Rainelle - I was only there l/2 year and had Mrs. Crawford If you teachers read this post, please please excuse and do not grade my grammar, typing, and sentence structure. I do know better but it's so much fun not to...
ML2006 Posted - 06/25/2006 : 02:23:35
re: Mr. Don Smith. I also remember his aloof demeanor which kept our rowdy Class of '65 boys under control. His demeanor may have seemed aloof but one could look in his eyes and see the twinkle there that was just on the verge of a smile. A wonderful teacher.
ML2006 Posted - 05/17/2006 : 23:31:52
After looking at photos on the photo forum, I thought about Mr. Don Smith, our Science teacher. I was not a successful baker in Home Ec and was relegated to Mr. Smith's Science class where I was the only girl there. I enjoyed the class greatly and have never forgotten that he took the class either to the golf course or to the football field and taught us about the velocity of a bullet. Thus began my interest in science which exits to this date. (I did become a very successful cook and baker - so states my family.) Thank you Mr. Smith.
Dale Tincher 64 Posted - 05/15/2006 : 08:43:59
Hello everyone. George "Tink" Collins (Director of Museum Program and Studies at a college in Tennessee) let us know that his mother and one of our favorite teachers, Mrs. (Sue) Collins lives in eastern North Carolina, but for the past 50 days has been at a nursing home in Whiteville, NC getting therapy. She fell and broke her hip thus needing a complete hip replacement. Mrs. Collins is 92-years-young.

Her current address is:

Liberty Commons
c/o Mrs. Sue Collins; Rm. 412-A
1402 Pinckney Street
Whiteville, NC 28472
Phone: 1-910-642-7191

She would enjoy getting cards or letters from students and friends.

Dale

919-272-8052
Pennie Zickafoose 65 Posted - 04/29/2006 : 21:35:48
To my great delight, I was told this week that Mrs. (Sue) Collins is alive and in her 90's! She was one of my favorite teachers. We moved to Rainelle in March of my 6th grade year and I was in her class. My previous teacher had been a male who loved his paddle very much and had used it quite often during the school year. I was terrified of him and dreaded going to school each day. When I entered Mrs. Collins' class and found such a loving and caring person, I felt such a relief and comfort. She read the classic,HEIDI, to us after lunch and I loved not only the story, but listening to her read. Years later when I became a teacher, I followed her example and read to my students in hopes they too would have the beautiful memory of someone reading to them. I also remember Mrs. Collins having us sing a verse of a song for our music grade. Unlike Dena, I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. However, I did my best in trying to sing, "O, My Darling Clementine". I saw a slight smile on her face and thought perhaps I hadn't done so badly. After thinking about it in later years and with some experience with students, I am sure she was trying very hard not to laugh at me.
Andy Aide Pendleton 64 Posted - 03/15/2006 : 20:37:49
Thank you Dena, Dale, Donnie, Marilyn, and Evenlyn for sharing great memories of our special teachers from Rainelle. ...

We are looking forward to other classmates responding to this wonderful topic... I am sure the teachers would be honored to hear how they influenced their students future.

Andy
Dena Carper Williams 65 Posted - 03/14/2006 : 23:49:47
OK, I must jump in on this one, having just completed 34+ years as a teacher in Greenbrier County Schools. I guess I've spent my whole life in school! I think I have a much better understanding and empathy for the teachers I had at East Rainelle Elementary and RHS.
I would say the first teacher I can remember making a huge impression on me was Mrs. Myrtle Buster, 4th grade. I have never known a more kind, sweet and interesting teacher. I could hardly wait to get to school to see her. She always seemed to care for each and every one of us, no matter if we were poor or rich, ugly or pretty, smart or dumb (oops, guess that should be learning-challenged). I can remember how much she loved reading and how she passed that love of reading on to us.
The next teacher I remember having a tremendous impact on me was Miss Utterback. She was sooooo beautiful, elegant, and such a lady! She treated us in 7th grade as if we were her equals, and I can remember wanting to speak like her in that elegant, educated voice. (I also remember her leaving shortly after a bond levy failed, and can I EVER identify with those feelings now)!
I loved Mr. Anderson's classes and all of his discussions about war, politics, the military, and ... oh yes, Biology and Government. He even talked right over me falling out of my chair in class one day when I had fallen asleep, so I wouldn't be any more embarrassed and humiliated than I already was.
I remember to this day Davy L. McClung, and the way he reacted that awful day in November when KC Forren stuck his head in the door and said, "Mr. McClung! President Kennedy has been shot!" Mr. McClung told Richard Curd to run across the street and bring over his radio, and just when he turned it on, we heard Walter Cronkite say that President Kennedy was dead. Mr. McClung started to cry, and said he was so worried it was the communists and they were going to take over our country.
The teacher who changed my life, though, was Harold Johnson. I don't even want to think what would've happened to me if he hadn't taken an interest in me, threatened me with expulsion from the majorete corps, and made me see how foolish I was being, trying to fit in and be liked. He bragged on my singing and my piano playing and developed a deep love of music in me which has always been a tremendous source of comfort for me (and Gary and I have a band and moonlight as musicians to this day). He knew just how to make me try to be the best I could be, and he led by example.
I know there were many others, (Mrs. Kessler taught me more English in one year than I learned in 4 years at Marshall), and Mrs. Phalen (McKenzie) was wonderful, Mr. Jim Hamrick didn't teach us a lot of math, but he instilled an obsession with football that I still have today! Coach Zopp was a fun typing teacher and a great coach, that state football championship game in the mud was awesome! In all of my years of school, I only had one or two teachers who weren't outstanding, we've sure been lucky in our little corner of the world!

Dena

Dena Carper Williams 65
Donnie Puckett 67 Posted - 03/01/2006 : 20:40:19
I can't remember having a bad teacher at East Rainelle or Rainelle. Maybe part of that is because we were taught ot respect adults and trust what they said to us.
I have been teaching for 35 years and sadly that isn't the case today.
Early elementary school brings memories of Mrs. Wiseman making applesause with us in class. To think she trusted first graders around hotplates!
I will cherish for as long as I live the opportunities that Ms. Utterback gave us in Fourth grade. She taught us outside and invited us to her home. Our classroom became the world! Ms. Utterback formed a group to pantomime the "Chipmonk Christmas Song". The group included my dear friends Gary Powers, Lloyd Cook, Martha Walker, Mike Reed and myself.
We performed at school and for the P.T.A. and the wonderful Rainelle spring style show. Sadly Mike and I are the only two members of that group still living but the memories will last forever.
Mrs. Watts in the fifth grade found a way to offer special math challenges and Mrs. Morton provided very positive opportunities with her devotion to our 4-H club.
I remember walking into the hallways at Rainelle High as a seventh grader. I thought I was in a castle. Everthing seemed so big but those of you who know me realize that I wasn't 5' tall until I was in the 11th grade so everything seemed big.
Mrs. Holsberry, Mrs. Kessler, Mrs. Wickline, Mr. Zopp, Mr. Hilton, Mr. Anderson, Mr. Smith, Ms. Ratliff and Mrs. Meadows and the quite leadership of Mr. Ochletree - we were very lucky folks.
Mrs. McCall has been mentioned by several people. I didn't have her as a teacher but she was like a second mom to me as Eddie and I became very close friends and we still visit each other. Eleanor McCall was simply pure class, loved life and was a very positive influence in my decision to become a teacher.
Mr. Anderson, Mr. Smith and Ms. Ratliff explained what scholarships were and told me about financial aid. I didn't have a clue and I knew we couldn't afford college. They changed my life.
I travel all over the country doing teaching seminars for other teachers and I sing Ginny Meadows' praises all the time. She was light years ahead of what Physical Education had to offer and the way it was taught in the 60's. I often post "Sportsmanship is contagious...let's have an epidemic". Our intramural program still serves as a model in several parts of the country because I have shared it as I have conducted programs.
All of these memories and all so very positive. Isn't that the way it is supposed to be?

Evelyn Utterback Drake 56 Posted - 02/28/2006 : 22:22:52
Re: Miss West

Miss West was one of the greatest assets that Rainelle High had. Our girls athletic program was amazing for those times. I remember her having us play soccer...whoever heard of soccer in the 50's? She taught a selection of us the rules of the sports we played so we could call the games ourselves. How proud we were with those whistles!
We certainly did have a good group of teachers who were truly interested in us as individuals and as a result I feel Rainelle produced many members of society who have made a difference in the world. Amen

Rainelle Reunion Discussion © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page