Rainelle Reunion Discussion
Rainelle Reunion Discussion
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Snitz Forums 2000
 Rainelle Information
 Rainelle Local News

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dale Tincher 64 Posted - 05/06/2006 : 10:45:20
Thank you Chris and Andy for this great idea. This topic/thread will cover upcoming Rainelle news. As Chris suggested, it can include family reunions, special events, weddings, festivals, visitors, celebrations, anniversaries etc. It will be a small local, online newspaper on the board with local news, announcements, etc.

The lower left corner of the home page http://www.rainellereunion.com will show the link to this topic and will often list important upcoming events.

Of course we will need some local reporters. This should be fun - we look forward to it. Dale

Dale Tincher - Class of 64
919-272-8052
dale.tincher@rainellereunion.com
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jwpuckett71 Posted - 04/29/2010 : 10:42:05
Greetings Rangers!

Just wanted to let everyone know we're still alive and well with the "L.Z. Rainelle - WV Veterans' Reunion." 2010 will be our 6th year!!

2010 schedule is up on the web site: http://www.LZRainelle.com

Lots of photos from previous years, some accolades from visitors and links to other GREAT stuff (be sure to check out the 'book' link ... fascinating story there).

If you don't already have plans for Memorial Day weekend, come and join us!
Janet Ballengee Estep 68 Posted - 11/11/2007 : 09:22:46
Here is the story from Beckley paper: http://www.register-herald.com/local/local_story_313222337.html

No one seems to remember the enviormental damage done by Meadow River Lumber Co. which cut thousands of trees from surrounding mountains, or the strip mines which have damaged surrounding areas also. The people who complain about the wind farms seem to ignore the blight of cell phone towers and how they interfere with birds, bats, etc.

Neither does anyone ever mention how the coal plant will remove the thousands of tons of "gob" from our environment. I see that as a positive. I don't live in Rainelle, so I don't have a say in what happens there, but I hope that a balanced view will be presented in making this decision.
ML2006 Posted - 11/11/2007 : 01:00:20
In the case of this "planned facility" - seeing is believing.
jessica osborne 67 Posted - 11/10/2007 : 19:02:31
Naturally most people cringe when you mention coal because it has a past reputation for being quite dirty. The reasons for concern that I have read is one of stream pollution(as in mercury) and massive water pulloff from the Meadow river. As far as boost to the local economy it may help somewhat I can't see it helping in a major way unless they build the satellite industries that were mentioned when the project was first proposed. So far, I can't find anything about a brick factory or fish industries being built. Does anyone know whether they will be building the whole proposed package or just the power plant?
The truth is most everything can be free of emissions if the "business" is willing to invest in the latest scrubber technology but it does cost more and most are not willing.
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Wiseman 59

I was told that it burns so clean that you would have difficulty telling it was running even when you looked at the smoke stack.

There still remains the question of the law suits filed by wacko environmentalists over fear that bats will fly into the blades of the windmills. Can't remember what they don't like about the physical plant in Rainelle. Have not heard of the decision on these suits yet. If any of you have, I would like to hear from you.

This project is one strong shot in the arm for Rainelle and will benefit the area tremendously.

Gene Wiseman

Gene Wiseman

Gene Wiseman 59 Posted - 11/09/2007 : 12:09:32
I was told that it burns so clean that you would have difficulty telling it was running even when you looked at the smoke stack.

There still remains the question of the law suits filed by wacko environmentalists over fear that bats will fly into the blades of the windmills. Can't remember what they don't like about the physical plant in Rainelle. Have not heard of the decision on these suits yet. If any of you have, I would like to hear from you.

This project is one strong shot in the arm for Rainelle and will benefit the area tremendously.

Gene Wiseman

Gene Wiseman
Evelyn Utterback Drake 56 Posted - 11/08/2007 : 22:00:17
Is this for real? Finally??

DOE gives $215-mil cost-shared coal plant the environmental nod>> Washington (Platts)--7Nov2007>>

The US Department of Energy on Wednesday finalized an environmental impact statement for a $215-million, 98-MW coal refuse-fired power plant it is expected to share the cost of building. DOE will put forward $107 million for the joint venture located in Rainelle, West Virginia -- with the Western Greenbrier Co Generation Project. Impact analyses indicate that the plant would not exceed allowable emission levels, result in objectionable odors, or cause air quality to degrade beyond standards currently in place, DOE said. The plant's visual impact on the overall landscape setting resulting from construction at the project site is expected to slightly degrade the viewshed only slightly over a temporary amount of time, it added. The facility will burn coal refuse to help produce power, hot water, and steam. It will be the "anchor tenant" of a proposed industrial "EcoPark" in Rainelle where it will also provide electricity to make cement by combining coal ash, limestone, and waste materials. The Western Greenbrier Co-Generation Project is "owned by the municipalities of Rainelle, Rupert, and Quinwood and incorporated as a tax-exempt entity," according to a 2006 document from DOE's National Energy Technology Laboratory. DOE entered into a 5-year cooperative agreement for the project, which is expected to be operational for at least 20 years. "DOE's share of project costs would be paid back over a 20-year period following the one-year demonstration period based on a repayment agreement negotiated between DOE and WGC," the EIS said. The project is part of the initial round of projects in the DOE Clean Coal Power Initiative, which began in 2003. The CCPI was established as a way to help commercialize more efficient and non-traditional coal-fired power plants. All of the coal refuse would come from a 4-million ton site in Anjean, West Virginia and other local sites. DOE said the plant would be the "first commercial application within the US of a circulating fluidized-bed combustor featuring a compact inverted cyclone design. This design could reduce the boiler system footprint and> construction costs by approximately 40%, and would reduce construction time by approximately 10%." --Alexander Duncan, alexander_duncan@platts.com>
ML2006 Posted - 10/26/2007 : 23:03:52
Janet, yes, she was a teacher there.
Janet Ballengee Estep 68 Posted - 10/26/2007 : 09:02:19
His wife was a teacher. I believe I had Mrs. Cassell in the second grade at East Rainelle.
ML2006 Posted - 10/25/2007 : 20:58:26
I didn't know where to put this information so I'll paste it here.
There are hundreds of "Rainelleians" who were given their drivers tests and maybe tickets (ha) by State Police officer Burke Cassell.
Retired Captain Cassell passed away last night. Here is the State Police email announcement.

BURKE CASSELL, RETIRED CAPTAIN OF THE WEST VIRGINIA STATE POLICE, AGE
82, PASSED AWAY ON WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 24, 2007.

VISITATION WILL BE HELD ON FRIDAY, OCTOBER 26, 2007 FROM 1730 - 2100
HOURS, AT THE BLUE RIDGE FUNERAL HOME, 5251 ROBERT C. BYRD DRIVE, US
ROUTE 19, PROSPERITY, WV.

FUNERAL SERVICES WILL BE SATURDAY, OCTOBER 27, 2007 AT 1100 HOURS, AT
THE FUNERAL HOME. INTERMENT WILL BE AFTER THE SERVICE AT THE BLUE RIDGE
MAUSOLEUM.
Andy Aide Pendleton 64 Posted - 04/08/2007 : 22:15:43
ML I use the ole faithful Miracle gro for all of my plants ..inside and outside.....Thank you...!!!!!

Bob, It is so great to see you on line...!!!!
Maybe when you return for the reunion you can decide where you would like to move.....The other side of the county seems to be the greener grass ..however three times as expensive....More activity for us seniors.....

Then there is no place like home......

Andy
bobh60 Posted - 04/08/2007 : 18:42:11
You made my Easter. Really glad I checked in today. Am in the process of fixing my house up and selling it, so I can come back to where I was born. It's really cold here in Ohio too,don't have as much snow
tho.Have visited a few times since my family left in 1950, always sad
to come back here. If you or anyone can give me a site or info, on the
changes that may have happenend, that would make me decide to or not to move back to Rainelle,but maybe another place close by, I would really appreciate it, I just want to come back to where I belong....
West By God Va. Need to know the prices of housing etc.Have so many
memories (great ones) will post them soon. Can hardly wait to get back
to the mountains. HOPE YOU HAVE HAD A GREAT EASTER. BOB.........
bobh60 Posted - 04/08/2007 : 18:22:53
quote:
Originally posted by Andy Aide Pendleton 64

HAPPY EASTER TO EVERYONE FROM RAINELLE

WE are experiencing a major change in the weather this Easter....No it is not global warming....It could be Global Freezing....Yes, we all know Rainelle our little Alaska... NO EASTER BONNET TOMORROW.....MAYBE PINK EAR MUFFS....
Below is a few pictures of my Christmas flower that bloomed Easter...and pictures of our usual Easter Weather...A very good time to track Easter Bunny tracks.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=prxi0xw.1edo0fm4&Uy=-top5xz&Ux=0

No matter the condition of our season we wish you a very happy Easter.

Rejoice !!!! His Son has risen.....May God Bless us All....

Andy

ML2006 Posted - 04/08/2007 : 16:56:06
Andy, your flower is incredible. What type plant food did you use??
Thanks for the snow scenes. Those were so pretty. Sometimes I do miss having a pot of beef stew bubbling on the wood stove, hot biscuits and potatoes baked in foil in the coals of the wood fire on a lovely snowy day...thank you.
Andy Aide Pendleton 64 Posted - 04/07/2007 : 10:39:03
HAPPY EASTER TO EVERYONE FROM RAINELLE

WE are experiencing a major change in the weather this Easter....No it is not global warming....It could be Global Freezing....Yes, we all know Rainelle our little Alaska... NO EASTER BONNET TOMORROW.....MAYBE PINK EAR MUFFS....
Below is a few pictures of my Christmas flower that bloomed Easter...and pictures of our usual Easter Weather...A very good time to track Easter Bunny tracks.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=prxi0xw.1edo0fm4&Uy=-top5xz&Ux=0

No matter the condition of our season we wish you a very happy Easter.

Rejoice !!!! His Son has risen.....May God Bless us All....

Andy
Andy Aide Pendleton 64 Posted - 03/28/2007 : 21:45:29
A note of interest for campers visiting the area.....

Aaron Childress, grandson of Owen Childress, has a beautiful website advertising his campground....http://midlandtrailcamping.com/aboutus.aspx

http://midlandtrailcamping.com/default.aspx

Aaron is the newphew of one of my classmates, Mike Childress.

Andy

Rainelle Reunion Discussion © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page