Rainelle Information
 Low Ash - Near Snake Run
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  09:29:39  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gerry Mitchell wrote the following about Low Ash. If you have any information or photos, please reply and/or let Gerry know.

Gerry wrote:
IF YOU GO DOWN TO SNAKE ISLAND PAST WHERE THE LUMBER MILL IS, THERE IS A ROAD THAT GOES QUITE A WAYS BACK TO WHERE AT ONE TIME, THERE WAS A TOWN. I DID NOT KNOW THE NAME OF THE TOWN BUT IT WAS CREATED BY THE LOW ASH COAL COMPANY. BUT, IT HAD A LOT OF HOUSES THERE AND A STORE. THEY EVEN HAD ELECTRIC POWER. THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN BACK IN THE 1920S OR SO. BUT THERE USED TO BE A LOT OF REMAINS OF THE HOUSES OUT THAT SNAKE ISLAND ROAD. I DO NOT KNOW EXACTLY WHERE THE STORE WAS BUT THERE WAS ONE. I GUESS THEY GOT SUPPLIES FROM THE RR AND THE ROAD TOO. I DO NOT KNOW WHEN THE PLACE WAS TORN DOWN BUT THERE WAS NOTHING THERE WHEN I WAS A KID. SO, IT MUST HAVE BEEN LONG BEFORE I WAS BORN WHEN IT WAS TORN DOWN. IT IS AMAZING ABOUT WHAT WENT ON AROUND RAINELLE THAT NO ONE SEEMS TO REMEMBER.

Gerry posted some additional information here:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=u46feyk.13oom9go&x=0&y=-98jje6

Dale Tincher - Class of 64
919-272-8052
dale.tincher@rainellereunion.com

Evelyn Utterback Drake 56

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  16:12:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re Snake Island

Several years back, Jim Bottomly 1956 told me that he went to elementary school at Snake Island. He had a hard time convincing me that it was true. I asked Ryan Thompson about it and he said there certainly was a school there and his wife taught there when they first came to Rainelle. Jim later brought a picture of the school.
Go to Top of Page

Ron Estep 57

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  22:35:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evelyn Utterback Drake 56

Re Snake Island

Several years back, Jim Bottomly 1956 told me that he went to elementary school at Snake Island. He had a hard time convincing me that it was true. I asked Ryan Thompson about it and he said there certainly was a school there and his wife taught there when they first came to Rainelle. Jim later brought a picture of the school.

Hi Evelyn,
I remember the Bottomlys lived in snake island, we are good friends , his cousin and i used to down play with them all the time. His cousin's name is John Walker, who lives up craig some where, i went to school with jimmie at one time and probably you too. You most likely don't remember me. Those were the good years.but all years are good when you can sit back and remember them.
"Ron"
Go to Top of Page

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  08:56:20  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My grandparents lived somewhere near Snake Island at one time, but I never knew the name of the place. My grandparents were Irvin and Lelia Amick. My aunt, Leathel Amick, married a man named Patrick Tuck who was killed in a slate fall in the mines. There was a huge Tuck family there, and most of them worked as coal miners. Do you think they might have lived in Low Ash?
Go to Top of Page

Pudge Miller Vandall 58

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  06:38:56  Show Profile  Click to see Pudge Miller Vandall 58's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have lived on 7 th street since I was 2 yrs old. It is also known as Snake Ialand Road. I remember the Store, School, and all the houses that was in Snake Island. My Aunt lived fown there. The Store was just below where Jack Lively lives now.The houses and school were were before you get to the store. The school was build behind a little hill. Jimmy lived right across the road. That was in the 1940's. The best I can remember.
Go to Top of Page

Pudge Miller Vandall 58

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  06:40:56  Show Profile  Click to see Pudge Miller Vandall 58's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They also called it Snake Island, because there was a little island in the middle of Meadow River in Snake Island.
Go to Top of Page

James Bottomly 1956

1 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  05:29:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I SEND SOME PICTURE OF SNAKE ISLAND AND LITTLE COMMENT ABOUT PICTURE. WE LIVE AT SNAKE ISLAND THEIR OFF AND ON DURING MY EARLY YEARS OF MY LIFE. SNAKE ISLAND GOT IT NAME BECAUSE THE WAS SMALL ISLAND CLOSE TO MINE TOWN AND LOT SNAKE ON THE ISLAND. THIS IS HOW REMIMBER ABOUT THE HOUSE THEIR AFTER LEAVING EAST RAINELLE ON SEVEN STREET WERE 3 HOUSE CROSS RAIL ROAD, 2 CLOSE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF ROAD, 1/2 MILES ANOTHER HOUSE. THEIR WAS PIPE IN THE MOUNTION 1 MILES UP THE ROAD WHERE GOT WATER FOR SCHOOL. THEN 1 MILE WAS SCHOOL ON THE LEFT SIDE ROAD AND HOUSE ON THE OTHER SIDE ROAD. ABOUT 2 MILE THEIR WERE 1 HOUSE ON THE LEFT SIDE ROAD 1/4 ON THE OTHER SIDE ROAD WAS CUNNINGHAM HOUSE WHICH WAS LARGE TWO STORE HOUSE THEY DIDN'T WORK AT MINE. THEN 1/2 MILE ON THE RIGHT CAN TO TWO SMALL STORE HOUSE WERE THE STORE POWER IN ONE BUILDING AND CAP FOR THE MINE. THEN 1/2 MILES CAN TO COAL TIP WERE THE COAL LOAD ON RAIL ROAD CARS. THAT IS WERE MY COUSIN JOHN WALKER LOST ONE OF HIS FINGER PLAYING ON COAL TIP WHEN WAS BOY. BEHIND THE COAL TIP ON LEFT SIDE AT ONE TIME MY GRANDFATHER LIVE THEIR TRACK FROM THEIR WENT INTO MINE. THE ROAD FROM THE COAL TIP 100 YARD THEIR WAS COMPANY STORE AND UNDER THE STORE LIVING PLAY FOR BOOK KEEPER AND STORE MANAGER WAS SAME PERSON. THEN TO LEFT ROAD THEIR WAS ONE HOUSE BELOW MINE. BELOW THE STORE THEIR WAS TWO STORE HOUSE AT ONE TIME WE LIVE IN THE HOUSE. THEN ON RIGH THEIR WAS TWO HOUSE AT ONE TIME WE LIVE IN ONE OF THE HOUSE. BELOW THE TWO STORE HOUSE ON THE RIGHT THEIR WERE 3 HOUSE CROSS RAIL ROAD TRACK AND ON THIS SIDE WAS ONE HOUSE BE SIDE BIG BEECHNUT TREE. TWO LEFT ABOUT 3/4 MILE WERE TWO ON RIGHT OF RAIL ROAD TRACE. HERE IS SOME THING REMINDER ABOUT THE MINE THAT DURING THE WAR THE MINE OPERATER 24 HOURS A DAY SEVEN DAY WEEKS. DURING THE PEAK THE MINE MAY OPERATOR AROUN 60 PEOPLE OR MORE. I MIGHT LEFT OUT SOME HOUSE OUT BUT LEFT RAINELLE IN 1956 IT BEN LONG TIME WOULD LOVE TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN.
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  21:17:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim: I enjoyed reading about Low Ash. I do remember the Cunningham house. I can remember as little children occasionally going down that road to cut down a little pine for a christmas tree. Did that road ever go on through toward Summersville or somewhere else or was it a dead end? I hope you get to go up to Rainelle, Jim, it's not that far from Raleigh and although the people have changed, the clientel has changed, the place and the mountains are nearly the same. It's so peaceful to go home and sit on the former Aide's lot and just look at the mountains and town. There is comfort in something that doesn't change much and yet, I love where I am now.
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  17:02:48  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone. The next best thing to being in Rainelle is being with someone from Rainelle. Jim Bottomly (Class of '56) was kind enough to give me a call yesterday to let me know that he lives near me in Raleigh. We had a nice chat and decided to get together for lunch. We had a great time talking over lunch. Jim let me know that he visits the Rainelle Website often and has gone through the photos and yearbooks.

Here are Jim and I at Appleby's on Six Forks Road in Raleigh http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=u46feyk.3e5t93g4&x=0&y=-vgspvp Jim had just returned from working out at Gold's Gym behind Appleby's. Jim retired from IBM a few years ago. He has had an interesting life and is still doing so. He looks very fit and is doing great. We talked about several things including the Rainelle area and high school memories.

Jim gave me the link to some old photos of Snake Run and of some individuals. A photo of Snake Run school is included. As you can see in the text below the photos, he has described them nicely.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=vlb0974.3dzjei24&x=0&y=-8fgdnt

Dale

Dale Tincher - Class of 64
919-272-8052
dale.tincher@rainellereunion.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Rainelle Reunion Discussion © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page