Rainelle Information
 Arnold Anderson's passing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2010 :  21:24:42  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All, we have some sad news to report. A dear friend and beloved teacher, Mr. Arnold Anderson has passed away. I do not know details, but I know all Rangers would appreciate anything you can pass on. If you have a link to the obituary or a paper copy, we will link or scan it.

It was wonderful seeing Mr. Anderson at the recent reunion. He was feeble, but still had the twinkle in his eye and his sense of humor. While I wore the cheerleader skirt and top at the reunion, I told him he made me everything I was today. He laughed at that. Some good pictures of him are among the Reunion photos.

We all value the school and life lessons he taught us.

Rainelle friends stayed close to him throughout his illnesses and hostpital stays. You can see some past information here -
http://www.rainellereunion.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=516&SearchTerms=anderson

We have lost a wonderful friend and Rainelle treasure. May God comfort and bless his family and friends.

Dale Tincher - Class of 64
919-272-8052
dale.tincher@rainellereunion.com

Edited by - Dale Tincher 64 on 10/15/2010 22:01:28

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2010 :  14:02:32  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Arnold Ray Anderson

MAXWELTON — Arnold Ray Anderson, 82, of Maxwelton, formerly of Bellwood, passed away at his home on Thursday, October 14, 2010.

Born August 22, 1928, in Rainelle, he was the son of the late Henry George and Victoria Ellen Bennett Anderson. He grew up near Dawson, WV.

He was educated in one-room schools in Greenbrier County and graduated from Smoot High School in 1946. He immediately went to work as a railroad fireman on steam engines. Arnold served in the Army as a locomotive engineer operating trains in Korea in support of the 8th Army and U.N. forces.

He graduated from Concord College in 1953 and began teaching at Rainelle High School in 1959 while continuing to work summers for the railroad in Rainelle and Toledo, OH.

He graduated from West Virginia University with a master’s degree in 1961 and did additional grad work at Ohio University and Marshall. When schools were consolidated, he was transferred to Greenbrier West in 1968 and retired in 1989.

He was vice president of Greenbrier County Education Association for 5 years. He helped form Greenbrier PAC where he served as chairman for 12 years.

He was one of three original faculty members when the community college was formed in 1969.

He taught Government, Biology and History at Rainelle High School for 30 years while serving as adjunct faculty at Greenbrier Community College in Lewisburg. He taught for a total of 37 years.

Arnold attended Meadow Grove Baptist Church all his life and was a member for 45 years. He served as a trustee for 16 years.

Survivors include his wife Carol of Maxwelton; a son, Michael Anderson and his wife, Gina, of Sewickly, PA; and foster brothers, Raymond Anderson and wife, Norma, and Charles Anderson.

Services will be at 2 p.m. Monday, Oct. 18, 2010, at the Meadow Grove Baptist Church in Dawson with Pastor J.D. Surbaugh officiating, assisted by Pastor Les Mullens. Burial will follow at the Wallace Memorial Cemetery in Clintonville.

Friends may call from 1 until 2 p.m. before the service.

In lieu of flowers, the family suggests memorial contributions to Greenbrier Valley Hospice, 223 Maplewood Ave., Lewisburg, WV 24901, or Meadow Grove Baptist Church Building Fund, c/o Susan Hutsenpiller, HC 71 Box 115A, Smoot, WV 24977.

Arrangements by Wallace & Wallace, Inc., of Rainelle.
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  16:37:41  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gene Wiseman forward the following very nice write-up about Mr. Anderson's service. It is great that J.D. conducted the service. I have talked to other Rangers and Mr. Anderson has been on our minds quite a bit the past several days. We miss him, but look forward to seeing him in heaven. Dale
____

The service for Mr. Anderson this past Monday at the Meadow Grove Baptist Church was very well attended. The church that Mr. Anderson attended for 70 years (45 as a member) was filled with 160 or more friends, family members, former students, teaching colleagues, and members of the church. An hour of visitation with the family began at 1 pm.

At Mr. Anderson's request, the services were conducted by Pastor J.D. Surbaugh of Lynchburg, VA. A while back Mr. Anderson spoke to J.D. and asked him to preach at his funeral. Pastor Les Mullens of the Meadow Grove Baptist Church assisted.

During the early part of the service, there were numerous personal remembrances of Mr. Anderson shared by his many friends and former students. Mr. Anderson’s wit and humor were recalled.

The eulogy by Pastor Surbaugh was well done as he spoke of Mr. Anderson both from the perspective of a former student and also as one who also knew him in life as an adult. Pastor Surbaugh spoke of Mr. Anderson's many accomplishments as a teacher and as one who had great personal faith. America the Beautiful was one of the songs sung.

After the service, a large vehicle procession left the church driving through Dawson and past the Smoot High School where Mr. Anderson graduated in 1946. The procession continued on through the rolling hills and past the Sam Black Church, eventually arriving at the Wallace Memorial Cemetery.

The graveside service was brief. Two U.S. Army Soldiers in dress blue uniforms removed the American flag covering the casket, folded it, and presented it to Carol. Taps were played.

Afterwards, people lingered at the cemetery to talk about Mr. Anderson and to remember. A church dinner was held for the family and friends at the Meadow Grove Baptist Church.

It was a warm sunny pleasant October afternoon.
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  00:19:55  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you have any favorite stories and/or memories of Mr. Anderson that you would like to share, please feel free to send them to me and I will be happy to post them and attribute them to you. Dale

Dale Tincher - Class of 64
919-272-8052
dale.tincher@rainellereunion.com
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  23:31:10  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jewell Morris Dean sent a very nice note about Mr. Anderson and I asked if she would mind if I put it on the board. I will be happy to post any others that anyone sends.

Jewell wrote:
I was so saddened to hear of Mr. Anderson’s passing. He was a very special teacher and a very special person. He had a way of making each student feel that he/she was important to him and that he really cared about their education and future. He was able to give examples of life lessons he was trying to teach in a way that really made them stick. I remember once he was talking about rights and responsibilities and used the illustration that “Jewell Morris’ right to swing her fists stops right at the end of Joe Cover’s nose.” I’ve thought of that often since 1964!

He will be missed by so many.

Edited by - Dale Tincher 64 on 11/03/2010 23:31:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Rainelle Reunion Discussion © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page