Favorite Teacher
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mikebr

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2006 :  22:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I attended Rainelle Elem. from 4th through 6th grade in 1971-73. Mrs. Eleanor McCall was my teacher in both 4th and 5th grade. She was without a doubt the best and most influential teacher I ever had. It is interesting that posts on her from the 60's match my experience in the 70's. I see that she passed away. Can someone tell me more about this amazing teachers history and final years? Next I will include the greatest football coach of all time Howard Hylton. While tough and blessed with little (actually no) patience with injuries he knew how to get the most of each player. I quaterbacked his team in 9th grade and have fond memories of that season to this day. How I would love to be able to get my hands on some game films from those days to show my kids. God bless all in Rainelle...you are in my heart daily.

Mike Bruce 79

jdavis

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  07:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have great memories of all the teachers at the grade school
I was there from 65 to 71 But I think Mrs Collins was my favorite.
I still have a valentine she gave me. She give each kid a valentine
with a differnt personal note inside. Mine said "you are a fine young man and I wish you greatness". I can only hope she wouldn't be
disappointed with me now. On another note why aren't people from
our time posting on here? I only spent 7 years of my life in Rainelle
But they were the best years of my life. I don't think any other place on earth can touch someone like Rainelle, its like its blessed by god. everyone I have ever met who knows the place fills like wise.
Its amazing how many people know of Rainelle around the usa, Even people who have never been there are touched by a story they have heard or by someone they know from there.
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  10:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jdavis - what you posted here is heart-warming. Thousands of people from all over the country and world traveled through Rainelle when it was the main thoroughfare to anywhere west of us. Most everyone we've met has heard of Rainelle and remembers the view coming down Sewell Mountain. Yes, we were fortunate to live all our lives in a town where if your forgot your wallet at home, you could leave your groceries in the buggy - get your wallet and come back. A town where restuarants are clean and the windows sparkling as well as the store windows. A town where at one time you could leave your doors unlocked and lose the key and never worry. There are "bad sides" to small towns also but the good far outweighs the bad. I enjoyed your post and your comments. 1965 grad.
Go to Top of Page

Nell Powers Gwinn

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  21:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hands down, my favorite teacher while at Rainelle was Mrs. Holsberry. Not only did she try to get me on the right track with my English/Literature skills, she also lended me many a hand on life skills too. She encouraged my artistic "side" too. I am most grateful for her in many ways. Most of all, she was a "lady". Of course, I was priviledged enough to see the stern disiplinarian she was famous for too! She comes to mind often.
Go to Top of Page

Tom Bobbitt 62

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  23:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nell: Good to see you on line. I have seen several posts you have made. I remember in the past having conversations about my aunt who worked with your father. I am sure everyone on this web site would not be interested on that, but you can contact me at tbobbitt4811@charter.net if you would like. Anyway, this is a great site and I check in at least once per week to see what is happening. Andy and the folks do a great job of keeping the flow going.
Tom
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  01:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom: It was good to see your post. I hoped you and Nancy were still visiting the site. Post more often, we "posters" love to read others posts.
Go to Top of Page

libbyhanson

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  17:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nell Powers Gwinn

Hands down, my favorite teacher while at Rainelle was Mrs. Holsberry. Not only did she try to get me on the right track with my English/Literature skills, she also lended me many a hand on life skills too. She encouraged my artistic "side" too. I am most grateful for her in many ways. Most of all, she was a "lady". Of course, I was priviledged enough to see the stern disiplinarian she was famous for too! She comes to mind often.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Rainelle Reunion Discussion © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page