Rainelle Reunion Discussion
Rainelle Reunion Discussion
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Snitz Forums 2000
 Rainelle Information
 REMEMBERING EAST RAINELLE

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SHIRLEY FOOTE Posted - 09/27/2006 : 16:41:13
I REMEMBER WHEN RAINELLE WAS EAST RAINELLE. IN THE EARLY 1940'S MY DAD, JESSE BROWN, OWNED A GULF GAS STATION ON THE LEFT SIDE OF TOWN AS YOU FIRST ENTER TOWN, I BELIEVE A BANK IS THERE NOW. IT WAS JUST BELOW THE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. NICKELL'S FUNERAL HOME WAS ACROSS THE MAIN STREET. I BELIEVE IT'S SMATHERS NOW, THE A& J SUPERMARKET WAS BESIDE IT. JUST UP THE STREET ON THE RIGHT SIDE ACROSS FROM THE KING COAL HOTEL WAS A CAR DEALERSHIP OWNED BY MR. BROWN, NOT US, IT WAS MY CLASSMATE'S FATHER WAYNE BROWN. WE LIVED ON 9TH ST AND MAIN. ACROSS MAIN IN FRONT OF US WAS THE PURITY MAID BAKING CO. MY UNCLE, RAYMOND CARR WORKED THERE. ACROSS 9TH ST FROM US WAS THE CARPER PARTS AUTO PARTS. OWNED BY WALTER CARPER. WHEN I WAS 4 I STEPPED ON A BROKEN GLASS BLEACH BOTTLE & WAS TAKEN TO THE EAST RAINELLE HOSPITAL (SOMEPLACE CLOSE TO THE OLD G C MURPHYS. MY DAD LATER BOUGHT THE OLD SKATING RINK AND TURNED IT INTO A BOWLING ALLEY, HE SOLD IT TO CARL KEISTER.I BELIEVE THAT WAS IN THE 60'S.

SHIRLEY A. FOOTE
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Janet Ballengee Estep 68 Posted - 05/04/2007 : 19:18:40
Thanks, JW, I knew that Dennis had to be somewhere in that area. I thought perhaps it was close to where the old water trough is and that maybe the post office, etc., was a gathering place where a watering trough would be used.

I love it up there! At least in the summer time...
jwpuckett71 Posted - 05/04/2007 : 14:34:47
Janet,

If you turned off at Keith Critchley's house and went up to the airport and kept going past the airport, that road comes back on to the JR&K Tpk. That intersection was downtown "Dennis". Dale & Lynn Callison's dad owned a lot there and when I worked at the courthouse '86-'90 I had to do some deed research on those lots at the intersection to correct some mapping problems. The lot just on the NE side (on towards Smoot) of the intersection was the old Blacksmith Shop.
Evelyn Utterback Drake 56 Posted - 03/22/2007 : 10:43:21
I read this recently and thought it was appropriate for small town life and our aging process. It was often true when I was growing up there.

"One thing about small town life is that if you forget what you did, someone always knows."

Not a bad thing at this point of our lives.
Ron Estep 57 Posted - 02/11/2007 : 20:43:50
[quote]Originally posted by Ron Estep 57

[quote]Originally posted by jessica osborne 67

I went there much earlier, maybe in the 50's. It was a grade school first through sixth. There were no organized sports or nickname. just a bunch of little kids having fun.
[quote]Originally posted by gridironmike

I attended East Rainelle Elementary in the fifth and sixth grades ('80 and '81). I stopped by there today to peek in the old gym. The basketball goals are still up! What was the highest level you could attain at East Rainelle (6th grade, junior high?)? Rainelle had the Rangers. Did East Rainelle have a nickname? Did East Rainelle have any organized sports programs?

sorry about that ,
I went to East Rainelle grade school in the 40s and like Jessica said there was no sports going on , except kids having fun. It seems to me there used to be a mens baseball team that played and practiced down at the ball park. I think Jim Brown played on the team , i may be wrong it's been a long time , but we tend to forget as time goes by. Does anyone else remember such a team and i beleive they played chrichton at different times, i can't remember what the teams name was. I hope i'm not trying to think of something that wasn't going on . If i'm wrong let me know!!!!!!!!! Ron
Ron Estep 57 Posted - 02/11/2007 : 20:30:54
quote:
Originally posted by jessica osborne 67

I went there much earlier, maybe in the 50's. It was a grade school first through sixth. There were no organized sports or nickname. just a bunch of little kids having fun.
quote:
Originally posted by gridironmike

I attended East Rainelle Elementary in the fifth and sixth grades ('80 and '81). I stopped by there today to peek in the old gym. The basketball goals are still up! What was the highest level you could attain at East Rainelle (6th grade, junior high?)? Rainelle had the Rangers. Did East Rainelle have a nickname? Did East Rainelle have any organized sports programs?

RJHS '84

jessica osborne 67 Posted - 02/09/2007 : 21:15:02
quote:
Originally posted by gridironmike

RJHS '84

gridironmike Posted - 02/09/2007 : 13:26:16

RJHS '84
Patty Cox Osborne 67 Posted - 11/06/2006 : 00:08:40
Hey East Rainelle 'kids'!!!
If you had Mrs. Ruby Martin for a teacher, be sure and read her daughter's new post...Pride in my family.
jewellmorrisdean64 Posted - 10/31/2006 : 08:19:37
I've been reading the posts about "Dennis" and had to chime in. When my Mom and Dad moved from the little three room cinderblock house (right down the road from the Ballangees) to the larger house (third on the left above the Sewell Valley Church) in 1952, our mailing address was Dennis Route. I don't know what the origin of the name was, but not too many years afterward, the "Dennis" was dropped and it just became Rural Route. So....I think it would have to be up toward Craig rather than McRoss.
SHIRLEY BROWN FOOTE Posted - 10/22/2006 : 14:13:37
JANET,
I REMEMBER THE SKATING RINK VERY WELL. I WENT THERE ALMOST EVERY NIGHT IN THE 1950'S. I WAS A GOOD SKATER TOO. THE OLD ALPING THEATER HAD CLOSED DOWN AND NOTHING ELSE TO SO. I DONT HAVE ANY PHOTOS
MY COUSINS RAY GENE AND HIS SISTER, MARGARET CARR (THEY LIVED IN THE OSBORNE ADDITION TOO) SKATED THERE TOO, LOTS AND LOTS. WE WERE ALL VERY GOOD. JOHNNY COCHRAN SKATED THERE TO. THEY ALL WENT TO RHS.
I TOO, WENT ALL THROUGH EAST RAINELLE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. MY TEACHERS WERE RUBY MARTIN, MRS. BUSTER, MRS. HINES, MRS. WATTS, MRS AMICK AND I BELIEVE THE PRINCPAL WAS MR. SCOTT. I REMEMBER A TALENT SHOW RHS HAD ONCE THAT WAS LIVE ON THE RADIO. MARGARET CARR AND ME ENTERED THE CONTEST AS "ROLLERSKATERS". CAN YOU IMAGINE HEARING US SKATING ON THE OLD WOODEN STAGE ON THE RADIO. I ATTENDED RHS 1953 --1959.

SHIRLEY A. FOOTE
Janet Ballengee Estep 68 Posted - 10/20/2006 : 09:06:26
I have received an email from Troy M. Hunter who constructed the Meadow Bluff web site. He says the Sewell Valley Post Office operated from 1909-1924. The Dennis Post Office operated from 1890-1926 and was located near the intersection of the JR & KT and Fleshman Hollow Road. The post office is the little red house on the left (heading west toward Rainelle) that is currently owned by Agnes Fleshman McMahon, her father was the last postmaster.
ML2006 Posted - 10/19/2006 : 10:17:55
I got it from an authority, Dennis is in the Craig area. It is at the intersection of County Route 20-2 and County Route 60-32. Almost at the foot of Little Sewell Mt. on the Meadow Bluff side. It's north of Craig and Farmdale. This was fun to read, let's find some more places.
jdavis Posted - 10/19/2006 : 07:24:03
Hey Guys
sorry about that I thought you were talking
about a different place. But afterwards I
serched mapquest Rainelle map and it shows dennis

Andy Aide Pendleton 64 Posted - 10/19/2006 : 07:05:59
Ok, Nell and Janet I am not exactly sure where you are referring to however from Nell's description I believe you are speaking about the road across from what use to be the Fiesta Club...It might not be exactly across the path but close....of course,there is a bridge you cross to get to the otherside.......Freda Pruitt's mother lived on that road.... I am sure the road is named.....

Andy
Nell Powers Gwinn Posted - 10/18/2006 : 22:13:53
yes....think about it....three miles southeast of Rainelle...Old James R & Kanawha T....My family is both Fleshman and Moses...it is the 'lil community across the Meadow River beyond McCross. Just visualize it Janet...you KNOW exactly where it is!

Rainelle Reunion Discussion © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page