New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SHIRLEY FOOTE

1 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  16:41:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I REMEMBER WHEN RAINELLE WAS EAST RAINELLE. IN THE EARLY 1940'S MY DAD, JESSE BROWN, OWNED A GULF GAS STATION ON THE LEFT SIDE OF TOWN AS YOU FIRST ENTER TOWN, I BELIEVE A BANK IS THERE NOW. IT WAS JUST BELOW THE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. NICKELL'S FUNERAL HOME WAS ACROSS THE MAIN STREET. I BELIEVE IT'S SMATHERS NOW, THE A& J SUPERMARKET WAS BESIDE IT. JUST UP THE STREET ON THE RIGHT SIDE ACROSS FROM THE KING COAL HOTEL WAS A CAR DEALERSHIP OWNED BY MR. BROWN, NOT US, IT WAS MY CLASSMATE'S FATHER WAYNE BROWN. WE LIVED ON 9TH ST AND MAIN. ACROSS MAIN IN FRONT OF US WAS THE PURITY MAID BAKING CO. MY UNCLE, RAYMOND CARR WORKED THERE. ACROSS 9TH ST FROM US WAS THE CARPER PARTS AUTO PARTS. OWNED BY WALTER CARPER. WHEN I WAS 4 I STEPPED ON A BROKEN GLASS BLEACH BOTTLE & WAS TAKEN TO THE EAST RAINELLE HOSPITAL (SOMEPLACE CLOSE TO THE OLD G C MURPHYS. MY DAD LATER BOUGHT THE OLD SKATING RINK AND TURNED IT INTO A BOWLING ALLEY, HE SOLD IT TO CARL KEISTER.I BELIEVE THAT WAS IN THE 60'S.

SHIRLEY A. FOOTE

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  08:20:01  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Shirley, so your family owned the bowling alley! I've been trying to sort out who, what, when and where for the skating rink/bowling alley! I lived on Oak Street in the Osborne Addition, although when I lived there, I don't believe the street had a name. We were a rural route delivery for a long time.

When did you attend RHS? Did you ever go skating at the skating rink? Do you have any pictures of the bowling alley, either inside or out? It had to be in the 60s because I went bowling but I never went roller skating.

I went to East Rainelle Elementary, teachers I had were Mrs. Martin, Mrs. Cassell, Mrs. Hines, Mrs. Highlander, Mrs. Watts and Mrs. Weikle. Mr. Scott was the principal.

Look forward to hearing more about the bowling alley!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  08:26:23  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The bowling alley was called Greenbrier Lanes and had ads in the 65, 66, and 67 yearbooks. Does anyone know which year they closed? I don't remember.
Go to Top of Page

Nell Powers Gwinn

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  08:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last year or so, Mary and Hub Lively ran the bowling alley...I do not know if they purchased the business from Carl or other(s). The bowling alley closed in the mid to late 70's. I only recall this because my little sister, Lisa was an avid young bowler (using this for one of the last forms of entertainment left at that time in Rainelle). I will ask her if she can recall the dates better than I.

Janet-you are probably right about Oak Street not having a name when you lived there. My parents were instrumental in naming many of the streets in and about Rainelle in the late 60's when the East Rainelle Post Office expanded and then combined to the one Post Office that remains today. My Dad was the Postmaster at East Rainelle as of 1962 and later Postmaster of "Rainelle" once "Smittie" Holsberry retired. (I think that name is correct...I am a bit foggy this AM!!!). I can tell you stories about the naming of the streets! Mother (Theda Fleshman Powers) especially had a grand time with this. AND we lived just below you on JR & KT.

I remember clearly that Mother's class reunion used the bowling alley as a gathering place for their 25th reunion. I was about 12-13 years old. I have a brochure that was printed for this. I just was looking at this a couple nights ago.

Shirley...I remember your Dad. You probably recall my oldest brother, Mark Powers and maybe my second brother , Gary. I was just a toe-head, tag along when you were coming up at that time. I do remember how beautiful you were (as I am sure you still are!)
Go to Top of Page

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  14:39:05  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nell, I remember both your brothers and your grandparents, Mr. & Mrs. Eddie Powers. And I remember where you lived too! Your grandparents were a huge positive influences on my life. Do you have any pictures of the bowling alley? Maybe from your mom's class reunion? Email me if you do.

It is so nice to read your posts; you have brought back many memories for me. DId your mom name Oak Street? Just wondering.
Go to Top of Page

Nell Powers Gwinn

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  15:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janet--I KNOW exactly who you are now...it took me a day to think about it! YEAH...I still have gray matter that works! It was when you mentioned my Grandparents that the connection hit. I am SURE that I have pictures of the skating rink aka bowling alley inside and out, HOWEVER these are currently buried inside my office closet. Many of the Powers Family pictures are on slides, you see. Daddy was fond of slides. Good news, I have just recently began to re-visit all the pictures and 'stuff" that is here. I have a few to send off to the committee once I get the right address going and coming. I do NOT have a scanner at this time, yet this is my next purchase once I decide which one I want that I can afford. I want a 3 in 1, maybe you have some advice? I am asking everyone I know!

I am not positive that Mother/Daddy named Oak Street. There was a method to naming the streets tho. Am I correct when I say that many of the streets in the Osborne Addition are named after "trees"? I need someone to spark a memory before I can pile in with my thoughts...It is a shame I road my bike along ALL of these streets and cannot remember their names today! I used to could tell you who lived where and how many kids and dogs and cats....on and on. I have not lived in Rainelle for almost 20 years now, so that is part of my excuse for lack of memory!
Go to Top of Page

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  12:48:18  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have found on an old, old map (1906)the location of a post office at Dennis, WV, just west of Little Sewell Mountain, near Rainelle. Does anyone ever remember some of the older folks (I know this is way before our time! ) speak of Dennis?

Dale, did you know there was a Tincher Post Office?
Go to Top of Page

jdavis

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  16:52:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janet
My aunt Hazel Steel was the post master at one time at (dane eas)
thats how it was pronouced I think, just out from loops road. is this where you talking about?
Go to Top of Page

Nell Powers Gwinn

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  20:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dennis is where you cross the bridge at McCross (on the right as you are going East). My Grandfather (Fleshman) was born out there. (I am 99% sure of this?)

Edited by - Nell Powers Gwinn on 10/18/2006 20:25:19
Go to Top of Page

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  20:28:11  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, I know it's not Danese.....I've found it on several maps and it appears to be located along the James River & Kanawha Turnpike. On this site www.vandaliastone.com there is a list of communities in the Meadow Bluff District, and it lists Dennis as approximately 3 miles southeast of Rainelle at the intersection of County Route 60/32 (Old JR & K Turnpike) and County Route 20/2 (Fleshman Hollow Road). Does that help any?

This site says it was formed in 1890 and I found it on maps up through 1906. Cemeteries located near it are Moses Fleshman Cemetery, Fleshman Cemetery II and Rudd Farm Cemetery. The post office there was established in 1890 and closed in 1936.

I lived in Rainelle all my life until I got married, and I have never heard of this place.
Go to Top of Page

Nell Powers Gwinn

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  22:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes....think about it....three miles southeast of Rainelle...Old James R & Kanawha T....My family is both Fleshman and Moses...it is the 'lil community across the Meadow River beyond McCross. Just visualize it Janet...you KNOW exactly where it is!
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  07:05:59  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, Nell and Janet I am not exactly sure where you are referring to however from Nell's description I believe you are speaking about the road across from what use to be the Fiesta Club...It might not be exactly across the path but close....of course,there is a bridge you cross to get to the otherside.......Freda Pruitt's mother lived on that road.... I am sure the road is named.....

Andy
Go to Top of Page

jdavis

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  07:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Guys
sorry about that I thought you were talking
about a different place. But afterwards I
serched mapquest Rainelle map and it shows dennis

Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  10:17:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got it from an authority, Dennis is in the Craig area. It is at the intersection of County Route 20-2 and County Route 60-32. Almost at the foot of Little Sewell Mt. on the Meadow Bluff side. It's north of Craig and Farmdale. This was fun to read, let's find some more places.
Go to Top of Page

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  09:06:26  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have received an email from Troy M. Hunter who constructed the Meadow Bluff web site. He says the Sewell Valley Post Office operated from 1909-1924. The Dennis Post Office operated from 1890-1926 and was located near the intersection of the JR & KT and Fleshman Hollow Road. The post office is the little red house on the left (heading west toward Rainelle) that is currently owned by Agnes Fleshman McMahon, her father was the last postmaster.
Go to Top of Page

SHIRLEY BROWN FOOTE

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  14:13:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JANET,
I REMEMBER THE SKATING RINK VERY WELL. I WENT THERE ALMOST EVERY NIGHT IN THE 1950'S. I WAS A GOOD SKATER TOO. THE OLD ALPING THEATER HAD CLOSED DOWN AND NOTHING ELSE TO SO. I DONT HAVE ANY PHOTOS
MY COUSINS RAY GENE AND HIS SISTER, MARGARET CARR (THEY LIVED IN THE OSBORNE ADDITION TOO) SKATED THERE TOO, LOTS AND LOTS. WE WERE ALL VERY GOOD. JOHNNY COCHRAN SKATED THERE TO. THEY ALL WENT TO RHS.
I TOO, WENT ALL THROUGH EAST RAINELLE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. MY TEACHERS WERE RUBY MARTIN, MRS. BUSTER, MRS. HINES, MRS. WATTS, MRS AMICK AND I BELIEVE THE PRINCPAL WAS MR. SCOTT. I REMEMBER A TALENT SHOW RHS HAD ONCE THAT WAS LIVE ON THE RADIO. MARGARET CARR AND ME ENTERED THE CONTEST AS "ROLLERSKATERS". CAN YOU IMAGINE HEARING US SKATING ON THE OLD WOODEN STAGE ON THE RADIO. I ATTENDED RHS 1953 --1959.

SHIRLEY A. FOOTE
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Rainelle Reunion Discussion © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page