Rainelle Information
 RAINELLE PARK BOARD
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SHIRLEY BROWN FOOTE 59

3 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  19:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I RECENTLY RETURNED MY RESERVATIONS FOR THE UPCOMING ALL CLASS REUNION BEING HELD JULY 2007. I MADE A DONATION TO THE RAINELLE PARK BOARD WHICH WAS SUGGESTED BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE PARK BOARD IS OR WHAT IT DOES. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME.IS THIS AN ACTUAL PARK OR IS IT A COMMITTEE BOARD OF SOMEKIND.;??DOES RAINELLE HAVE A PARK?

SHIRLEY BROWN FOOTE 59'

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  22:01:37  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Shirley, Thank you very much for inquiring about our parks.
I am very sorry that it was not understood... I hope I will be able to answer your Question:

quote:
The Rainelle Park and Recreation Park board have launched a campaign to help improve our parks. The parks consist of the golf course, tennis courts, Community building and park located in Rainelle. As you know we are in a state of economic decline. However, our community has high hopes that the proposed Co-Gen Plant's arrival will make a difference in our town and the surrounding area.

Until the time our hope becomes a reality, your financial contribution will help maintain our recreational facilities. Specifically, our goals are to improve the safetly, appearance,
and equipment, and for the recreational facilities to become self-sustaining.

Shirley if you or any other Alumni have any questions please feel free to contact me at 304-438-7662.

Understand that the park board is writing grants with hope of more funds...The board is also writing businesses for their support.

I would like to thank everyone for their support.
The campaign has begun with you our Alumni ....and the Rick K performance.
WE THANK YOU VERY MUCH.......!!!!!
Any support that our alumni gives is greatly appreciated....

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  08:32:06  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Shirley, It was very kind of you to donate to the Rainelle Park Board. It is my understanding that several people have contributed and sent nice notes about their interest in "giving back" and helping to further beautify Rainelle. To recognize people who have contributed to the Park Board and concert (and/or wish to make additional contributions), plus to recognize additional individuals who wish to contribute and help beautify the town we love, I have set up a page that I will update as donations from individuals and businesses come in - see http://www.rainellereunion.com/donations.html

I hope that helps.

Dale Tincher - Class of 64
919-272-8052
dale.tincher@rainellereunion.com

Edited by - Dale Tincher 64 on 03/10/2007 08:42:37
Go to Top of Page

Connard Estep 53

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  08:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy there was a baseball park at the foot of n. 10th in old E.Rainelle. Is it still there and is it part of the Park sys?
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  11:01:06  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello again everyone..

The park board and several park friends have been busy this winter. We have started a membership drive for the Golf Course because of much need funds just for the operational expenses.....

Grants are avaliable and we and the park board are applying for different local grants...for the golf course ..the park on route 20..
Tennis Courts .......and clubhouse community building.
All the subjects mentioned above are under the direction of the Rainelle Park Board....

At this time and the way it has been in the past the only money the board has coming in is the membership money, the green fees...rent on the building for special occassion.. and some grant money...etc. ...

The following grants are being applied for ...and some already applied...

The Greenbrier County Commisssion Parks and Recreational
The Hallowell Foundation
The Carlneal Grant...

The following pictures were presented Tuesday to the County Commisssion by me as a representative for the park board as our presentaton for the grant money...We all are working hard

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=prxi0xw.2hc37ulg&Uy=-btf0ak&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

Our golf course alone have been through
The Three F's
Fire
Flood
Finical difficulty..

We as a committe are proud of our little town ... We love our people ...We just need help to get back on our feet.

We are volunteers that want to work together and we want to make the best enviourment for our children and adults alike.

In the pictures you will see the following
the equipment for the golf course
The park
the tennis courts
The clubhouse after renovoation from the fire
I will send more pictures of the golf course....at a later time - please check back soon.

I am trying to show you different reasons and features as to our needs.

We are also in the process of writing a fundraising campaign to our business and corporations; using our Alumni as examples of someone giving back to their community.

I want you to understand ... I want you to come to the performance.. and the ten dollar donation helps to pay for the group......Every dollar counts and and appreciated..

I have tried my best to explain a few things....and i know i have left out a lot more......I will keep you updated... and i have said call me ....

Andy

Edited by - Andy Aide Pendleton 64 on 03/10/2007 14:22:52
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  14:54:30  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I want to say a great big thank you to
Ron Fleshman and his park board....for their hard work and allowing us to have our show performance, because without the park board members Rick k and his group would not have been able to perform for our reunion.
A great park board...
They want to make a difference !!!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

SHIRLEY BROWN FOOTE 59

3 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  09:19:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ANDY AND DALE,

THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE DUTIES OF THE RAINELLE PARK BOARD. IT SOUNDS LIKE AN UPHILL, ON-GOING BATTLE FOR THE BOARD. THAT BEING SAID I DO HOPE YOU YOU SUCCEED AND MY BEST WISHES. THE PHOTOS WERE INTERESTING. WHAT CAUSED THE FIRE AND WHERE WAS IT?
WHO "OWNS" THESE FACILITIES THAT ARE NEEDING THE UPGRADING AND MAINTANENCE? THE TOWN? OR WHO?
CUDO'S TO THOSE OF YOU WHO GET OUT AND DO THESE THINGS AND HAVE STAYED TRUE TO THE TOWN AND REALLY CARE ABOUT IT.
Go to Top of Page

gridironmike

25 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  21:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Connard Estep 53

Andy there was a baseball park at the foot of n. 10th in old E.Rainelle. Is it still there and is it part of the Park sys?

I borrowed this description from the Western Greenbrier Little League website (http://www.eteamz.com/westerngreenbrierLL):
Elliott Park in Rainelle
Centrally located in Rainelle, West Virginia by the Meadow River. The ballpark has a concession stand, restrooms, and press box. Parking, a covered stage, and covered picnic areas are located at the end of 11th Street. Additional parking, a picnic area, playground, basketball court, and outfield seating is accessible from the 10th Street entrance across from the Rainelle K&S Exxon. Formerly the Rainelle Municipal Park, the park was renamed "Elliott Park" in WGLL Opening Day ceremonies on May 8th, 2004.

The ballpark is part of the park system, but WGLL maintains it with some limited assistance from the town. We have relied on grant money obtained through WGLL, concession profits, the "sign program" which puts 4 x 8 signs on the outfield fence, generous donations from the "Run For the Wall" veterans that attend our games every Thursday before Memorial Day, and lots of volunteer labor. The town has been gracious enough to pay the power bill for lights so we can have night games.

RJHS '84
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  07:05:20  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mike for reporting on the tenth street park located on the eleventh street.......The Park is located to what most of us know as East Rainelle. You may remember the street by it being located across the street from the KING Coal Hotel.

This park is where most of us remember as the gathering place on July 4th and Labor Day after our annual parades.... We had games, pageants where the Rainelle queen was nominited, and food.....I remember Eugene Walker was alwaays the master of ceremony.....It was just an ole fashion day........On occasions a carvnival or a circus would come to town.

The park has a wonderful little league baseball park where the coaches, parents, and volunteers of the little leagues has made it one of the best in the area...I believe the picnic area was built by members of the First Baptist church.
In fact, a class picnic being planned at the park during the all-school reunion....They will have a great time.....!!!

A grant was aequired for a walking area around the park...........

For years the town has been in charge of the maintaince of this park such as mowing, etc. The town has the mowers and the workers...and have always been responsible for the tenth street park...The park is kept up as to the efficiency of the Mayor and his office.

The Greenbrier County Commission has been very supportive to all the little league teams throughtout the entire county by presenting them with recreation grants throughout the years. of course, none of this would not have been possible without the hard work of the volunteers looking after our children.

A note of appreciation is to Mike and others for their hard work and love of the game.....

Susie and I always enjoy going to the park and watching the little leaguers play ball.....

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  21:20:59  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone. Several additional Park Board donations have come in - thank you, donors! Dale
http://www.rainellereunion.com/donations.html

Dale Tincher - Class of 64
919-272-8052
dale.tincher@rainellereunion.com
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  22:03:45  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Classmates,

I wanted to say thank you for you support to our Rick K performance.
We have sold over 120 tickets to date......I encourage you to send your check for your ticket for a great time in the ole house tonight...(LOL)with Rick and his fun group......

You not only help to bring the show to a reality but you have given for a great cause for our community...THE RAINELLE RECREATION AND PARK BOARD...

We have the best classmates ever.. they have risen to the occasion..
Everyone has been such a support and worked together for a great upcoming all-school reunion... Our dear friend George,Tink,Collins and his presentation on the Meadow River Lumber Company "LAST GREAT GIANT' will be something to remember....
Gerry Mitchell and all his work has worked very hard by keeping our history alive on the internet....
Dale Tincher creating our webpage and bringing our reunion together a year and a half before the actual date.....
Patty Osborne and the Board and all the contact people ...
There are so many people to thank ... as I had said, WE all came together to make a happening !!!!!

I must not go without saying a few words about the ones that has made the rick k performance a happening.
When I made a call we need help in launching the show... I received several calls from the following classmates for their pledge just to be able to make my commitment to Rick K.
Dale Tincher $250
Mom and Dad...Aide's $500
Ed and Nancy Smith $250
Randy Pendleton $250
Ken and Deanna Altizer $100
Mike Childress $100
Colin Lively $50
Andy Pendleton $30

HURRAY !!!! The show was booked....

Then we had to make a plea to you our classmates for furthur assistance..

With the end result a successful venture and at the same time giving back to the Community...

This is a comment that Georgeann Michael Corey had made to me a few weeks ago....and I wanted to share it with you....

quote:
I just dropped a two hundred and fifty dollar check in the mail: In honor of the class of 64 Rainelle High School. I feel strongly that I need to give back to a community where I lived and went to high school for four years. We all need to give for the next generations.

Physically I am well and a survivor.
Well my dear have a great week and stay in touch. Love and Blessings, Georgeann

Georgeanne's Husband past away one year ago and leaves behind a wonderful wife and lovely son..Their son just graduated from Duke University......

Gerogeanne is unable to attend the reunion due to a previous engagement but sends her love to all...

One other sweet note I received was from Margaret Landrum a check for $100 in memory of Bud Landrum .....

I want to assure you my classmates any amount you send from the amount of the ticket to any other donation is always appreciated and accepted with a loving heart.......

May God Bless and Thank You

Andy

Edited by - Andy Aide Pendleton 64 on 03/27/2007 12:27:14
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  07:01:29  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good morning Classmates... I received the following email today from my dear friend Gerry.
quote:
DEAR ANDY,

THANK YOU FOR MENTIONING ME IN YOUR PARK BOARD WRITEUP OF TODAY. I DO APPRECIATE IT. I CAN NOT SAY I HAVE DONE ANY OF THE MONITARY DONATIONS THAT SO MANY RANGERS HAVE DONE BUT I HAVE PUT IN MANY MANY HOURS FOR THE HISTORY ON OUR WEBSITE AND AGAIN I APPRECIATE YOU THINKING OF ME. IT MAKES MY WORK SEEM WORTH IT. I HAVE A VISION OF A REALLY NICE INTERNET MUSEUM WITH A TREMENDOUS ABOUT OF HISTORY ABOUT RAINELLE NOW AND IN THE PAST. IT IS SO AMAZING JUST HOW INTERESTING OUR TOWN AND IT'S PEOPLE IS IN IT'S PAST HISTORY AND EVEN IT'S PRESENT TIME. IT IS A VERY SPECIAL PLACE WITH VERY SPECIAL PEOPLE. I AM PROUD TO HAVE LIVED THERE AND BEING A PART OF IT AND TO BE A SMALL PART OF BRINGING THE PEOPLE AND THEIR PAST MEMORIES TOGETHER INTO THE PRESENT. I WAS GIVEN A WAY TO DO THIS BY YOU AND DALE TINCHER USING THE RAINELLE WEBSITE. BEFORE THAT TIME, I HAD NO IDEA HOW TO DO THIS. BUT GIVEN THE MEANS, IT WAS AND STILL IS A VERY EXCITING TIME FOR ME. I KEEP GETTING HISTORY INFO ALL THE TIME AND HOPE TO GET MORE IN THE FUTURE.

Gerry you are appreciated by all of us....!!!! thank you !!!

I would also like to thank Rita Curd Bender for coming aboard and helping Dale with the website. Rita has also helped me through the internet with the Park Board project. Rita is my computer teacher..i just don't have to buy the disc...like (?) Mr.(?). I forgot his name..
Thank You Rita.....Mrs. (?)

Andy

Edited by - Andy Aide Pendleton 64 on 03/29/2007 07:35:06
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  23:07:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gerry: We are all deeply indebted to you for what you have done and the endless hours you have put into this wonderful website. Your donation has been greater than any because if your total hours were given a dollar value, it would be well over thousands of dollars donated. I appreciate you and what you and Dale have done to make this website available to the rest of us and to any internet surfer passing by.

Sincerely,
Marilyn.
Go to Top of Page

gridironmike

25 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  16:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No disrespect is intended with this post. For the second straight year, WGLL has shown up only to find that the power has been turned off at the ballpark (meaning no lights, no night games, no cold drinks, no hot food, no revenue for Little League!). To Ron Fleshman's credit, he worked with one of our BOD members last year and got the power restored and is working with him again this year. In the past, WGLL helped the Park Board by selling those 4 x 8 signs for the outfield fence. $300 purchased a sign and $75 annual renewal kept the sign in service. I was pretty shocked last week when I went to the park and saw how few of the signs still remain (meaning businesses no longer paid their renewal). The fence was at one time completely covered. Less than half remain. Would the former graduates of Rainelle High School (Class of ?? or All classes) like to pitch in to purchase a sign? Rainelle Signs did all of our previous work. A maroon sign with the school logo would look awful nice down there and would help WGLL help the Park Board keep the power on.

RJHS '84
Go to Top of Page

gridironmike

25 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  13:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As of 4-14, Elliott Park still has no power. Little League games will begin on 5-05. If anyone is sending donations to the Park Board, I'd appreciate it if a portion of it could be stipulated or earmarked to be spent on restoring power to Elliott Park. Unlike the golf course, Little League games require no admission (or green) fee, so they rely on concession money to generate income. The greatest benefit to the kids is to have a 6:00 game followed by an 8:00 game (under the lights), maximizing use of the field. The eastern end of the county has 3 lighted fields at Hollowell Park (Lewisburg), 2 at Gbr. East (baseball and softball), 3 at Ronceverte (Burr Field), 2 at Alderson (city park), and 2 at White Sulphur Springs. I didn't even count lighted football fields. We have only Elliott Park at Rainelle and the Rupert Community Park. Rupert's field was permanently (shortsighted) configured with 90 foot basepaths (this is something 13 and older kids would play on) which severely limits use of that field. Even counting Greenbrier West (which no longer uses Rupert), there are only approximately 30 kids in the 13-18 age group that would benefit from that. We have another 250 kids (12-under) that utilize 60 foot basepaths. Rainelle is the only park that has that configuration and lights. We NEED help!

RJHS '84
Go to Top of Page

gridironmike

25 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  16:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Power and water have been restored at Elliott Park.

RJHS '84
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Rainelle Reunion Discussion © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page