Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 26

Chris Dawson 51

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  22:28:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at Gerry's pictures and how much things have changed at Rainelle over the years, my thoughts wondered back to my childhood years growing up there and the things I remeber. Maybe others can relive some memories and post them.

Alpine and Trail theather. (Looks like Alpine is vacant land.)
Roller rink.
The A&P was near 1st St & Main.
The bus stop was at the cornor of Main and Greenbrier.
Kroger was near Maryland and Main.
The candy store just east of Boley Chevy. (for a penny I got some Rock candy)
The State Police was on Rt 20 near the golf course.
The high school football field was in the middle of the current golf course.
Fred Pack use to dress as the lone ranger and ride his horse down the side lines at home football games.
The city bus that ran between Rainelle and Rupert.
Townley 5 and 10 store (Later GC Murphy)
The swimming hole on Meadow River just east of Sewell Creek.
Sleigh riding from the knoll east of East Rainelle Grade School down the hill out onto and down Greenbrier Ave.
The coal miners coming from Snake Island with black faces.
The CCC coming to town on Saturday evening by the truck loads and going to Grecco Tavern at 7th and Main.
The WPA. Had a storage shed just west of the King Coal Hotel.
The carnivals that came to town and set up maybe 10th or 11th street.
The motor car that use to run from somewhere east of town to Rainelle and then down to Gally River main C&O line.
The old C&O train station. (Does it still exist and is there any coal railroaded thru Rainelle?)
The clifts north of town I use to hike to.
The all volunteer fire dept.

Connard Estep 53

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  09:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Chris I recall all of those plus a few more.
Webbs grocery
Davis grocery
Nunleys tavern
Hogsets hardwear
Flints hardwear
Alders hardwear
Lamberts Buick
The lamp Post resturant
Nellies inn
Dodge Garage
The taxi cab co.
The Meadow River Post
The Day and Night Cafe
Eagles Pawn shop
Sadies Cafe
Rexall Drug Store
Avis Furniture
K M Walker Furniture
The Hospital over the Bus Depot
Dr. Jackson
Dr. Davis
The Ball games on Sundays between coal co. leauges.

The list goes on and on. All good memories
A wonderful place to grow up.
Go to Top of Page

Pudge Miller Vandall 58

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  16:12:07  Show Profile  Click to see Pudge Miller Vandall 58's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Chris,
I also remember some.
Dr. Fleshman
Dr. Lewis.
When they played baseball on George Aide's lot up next to the Skating rink.
Blind Mitch's Popcorn Stand.
Young Stuido.
Edd's Shoe shop
Tincher's Jewelers
Rosalee's Lunch
Aides

Go to Top of Page

Connard Estep 53

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  20:30:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cris, More of the same.
Rainelle dry cleaners
Decks cleaners
Forrens feed store
Crookshanks Garage
Hugarts Clothing
Bishers Appliances
Issy Fairs Clothing
Carr Diner
Mcossies (sic) Diner
A and J food store
Wick Livleys Bar
Arnold Livleys Bar
Oak Jones town cop
Crit Hall town cop
Lou Burdett town cop
Stup ??? town cop
Mr. Perkins Rainelle Elem Principle
Carper Parts
The teen Center At the old firehall On 7th st.
Ed showalter Town cop
Nevil Sanford Sanitation & Mayor

Im sure there is more.... someone Help
Go to Top of Page

Chris Dawson 51

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  21:05:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Garner dry cleaners 7th and Main. I once caught some turtles for Mr. Garner that I located in the low land ponds east of Sewell Creek and south of the railroad.
Purity Maid was at 9th & Main (?) before moving east of town.
Fred Bush had a small store across from Dominic Greco store. I remember getting a finger pinched in the screen door.
And as Connard reminded us, the taxi service. George Casto owned the Dodge garage and taxi service.
Once during a winter storm, after dark, after sleigh riding down Greenbrier Ave. and on my way home
One of the taxis hit me. Remember seeing stars. Don’t remember how I told the driver where I lived.
He was scared, my parents were scared, and I wanted to know about my sled. (I was totally unharmed.)
Any one remember a drive-in just east of town. They had the best hot dogs.
As Pudge reminded us, Blind Man Mitchell had the popcorn stand next to the Alpine. His wife was also blind.
Bond shoe repair. Mr. Bond was a double amputee.
Next door to the popcorn stand was Young’s, as I remember. Comic books etc. Kind of a hobby shop.
Was there a Tincher”s Jewelers?
Meadow River Lumber mill pond. We use to catch gold fish there. Fish by the hundreds in there.
How about all the Smith Transfer trucks going thru town from Stanton, Va to Charleston.
Anyone besides me push their bike up Sewell Mt and ride down?
Nunleys tavern at about 8th and Main. Spent hours and hours playing pin ball there.(Did you know you
could file down a 78 record to a nickel size and it would work. But I never did that.)
Now here is a real “war story”. ’44 or ’45 time period, anyone remember the 2 fighter planes that buzzed
the town and vally for 15 or 20 minutes? Do you remember the name Paul Miller?

Come on people, let me hear what you remember.
Don't you young 60's people have anything to remember.
The old 50's crowd are making you look........ well to young to remember

Chris_Dawson 51

Edited by - Chris Dawson 51 on 02/13/2006 21:42:57
Go to Top of Page

Chris Dawson 51

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  21:35:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a sensitive question.
Does anyone remember the price of gas?

I seem to remember 17¢ and/or 19¢.

Edited by - Chris Dawson 51 on 02/14/2006 10:23:09
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  22:13:43  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a wonderful topic. I am enjoying it very much.

As one of the slightly younger old-timers, I'll throw in a few comments. I lived in Craig until the 11th grade when we moved to the city (Rainelle - Lilly Park) so I don't have the familiarity of Rainelle that many of you do. I remember vividly the C&H Drive-In restaurant, a favorite hang-out of those in the 60's and probably 50's. We would hang out there, cruise downtown, then circle the C&H to see if anyone new (girls, of course) had arrived.

I remember well when we won the state football Single A championship in '62 and were paraded through town on firetrucks. The entire town seemed to turn out and cheer. It was great fun. I didn't play much as a junior at 132 pounds. I was primarily football practice scrimmage bait for fullback Tim Hanley to run over while I closed my eyes and prayed not to suffer too badly. However, I did get in on the last couple of plays of the State Championship when Coach Zopp cleared the bench. We had a proud football tradition.

There was, indeed, a Tincher's Jewelers to the right if you were facing G.C. Murphy's. Kerry Tincher (one of Simon Tincher's sons) ran it for several years. Kerry was formerly a school teacher among other jobs.

Those from Craig will remember Orph Puckett's general store and hang-out where people shopped and the men often gathered out front to talk. Orph Puckett type stores and the churches were often the social centers of small communities. Cokes were 10 cents and candy bars were 5 cents at Orph's store. Folks would get groceries and other supplies and would often tell Orph to "put it on my bill". Orph would keep a running tab of their purchases and they would come by periodically and pay their bill. I sometimes stop at a store near Roanoke that reminds me somewhat of the old stores. It has the old Coca-Cola signs, a front porch, etc., http://www.consultwebs.com/ncphotos/roanoke/1005/2/red_birch_4510.jpg and sometimes has an attendant who dresses like the men who would pump your gas for you when you drove up and said, "fill 'er up" http://www.consultwebs.com/ncphotos/roanoke/1005/2/attendant_4513.jpg then gave him a dollar or two for the fill-up. I also remember the boys washing their or their parents' cars at the creek (crick), then promptly getting them dusty as they drove on the dirt road to their girl friends' houses or to Rainelle.

I also remember Dr. Clausman (I don't recall his exact name) driving all the way from Rupert to Craig to make house calls when we were sick. If I tell a young person that today, they look closely at my eyes to see if I am losing it or if it is possible I could be telling the truth.

Ed Smith told me recently that he tells people he grew up in Mayberry - that it was a wonderful place. I agree. People rarely locked their doors. Neighbors were indeed neighbors and people pitched in when someone had problems. Whew - I'm starting to sound the way my dad and other old-timers used to sound.

Dale Tincher - Class of 64
919-272-8052
dale.tincher@rainellereunion.com

Edited by - Dale Tincher 64 on 02/14/2006 05:26:25
Go to Top of Page

Norma Walker Zopp 45

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  00:08:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Add Moshrie's Lady's Wear and Hundley Drug Store -- across from Wallace and Wallace. Also, Dr. Wall practiced with Dr. Jackson at the hospital in East Rainelle. I had a tonsillectomy in 1936 and was hospitalized 10 days! Today it's out-patient! Thankfully, we have progressed.

In Rainelle ...do you remember the Pioneer Hotel, Hefner's Barber Shop, the small cafe [can't recall the name] next door? Swede's
Pool Hall [downstairs beneath the building which housed the doctor's office,and dentist office [Dr. Fleshman]. There was also a beauty shop on first floor. George Easley was the town's favorite hairdresser. The upstairs of that building was the Lodge Hall. "Eastern Star" met there as did the "Pythian Sisters" [don't laugh!].

Now you've heard from a really, really old-timer!
Go to Top of Page

Connard Estep 53

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  09:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I remember Paul Miller, He coached Rainelle High from (circa) 1951- 1960 or so. the 52 team also won the state 'a' championship by beating White Sulpher Springs, but had to forfit because one player was a few days to old.
Does anyone remember the world war two Army Bomber crashing in Duo- Anjean Area ? I recall lots of Ammo being kept for souvenirs. My golly how dangerous. (But I had some)
Back to Paul Miller, I seem to recall the Town( or Bloey Chevrolet)gave him a new Chevrolet for his accomplishments with the team. Am I correct ?
Go to Top of Page

Chris Dawson 51

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  13:57:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gilkerson International truck garage on Rt 20
Nehi Bottling McRoss
Shockley IGA
Gilmer Harrah barber shop

I remember 5¢ sodas. (RC and pack of Toms peanuts 10¢)

C&H Drive in. Thats where the hot dogs were so good.

Chris_Dawson 51
Go to Top of Page

n/a

8 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  14:05:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dr. Cecil
Hundley's Drug Store
John Davis Train Shack
Dances at the K of P Hall
Swede's

And here is some trivia: Who played the piano for the silent movies in what is now the feed store on the left east of the bridge of Meadow Creek going into Slab?

Class of 1957
Go to Top of Page

Patty Cox Osborne 67

128 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  16:52:27  Show Profile  Send Patty Cox Osborne 67 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What a great topic!!! I have really enjoyed reading and remembering. Since I graduated in 1967, I am too young (WOW-that's nice to say!!) to remember all of the things that have been mentioned but I can recall hearing my Mother (Gloria Flint Cox '43) mention a lot of the older hang-outs. I am also proud to say that Flint's Hardware is the only business still going strong after all these years...we're in our 84th year as a family owned business! I'm sure some of you remember the 'old country store' Thanks for taking me back in time if only for a little while!
Patty Cox Osborne '67

Patty
Go to Top of Page

Connard Estep 53

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  19:02:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Patty it is a good topic. Thanks Chris for getting us started. I am suprised to hear that Flints is still open, 84 years WOW. They are to be applauded.

Here are a few more that I recall
American Cafe
Jones Ice Co.
Idle Hour Pool Hall.
A tire recaping Co. that was located between 6th and 7th just north of main st.
The Old US Post Office located I believe between 4th and 5th Sts.
Frank Rogers, Town Cop.
Haynes Appliances. (may still be there).
Western Auto. (may still be there)

Patty are you related to Dorthy Osborne that used to live up Craig Rd.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Dawson 51

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  21:10:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My memory is getting weak.
Alpine. Seen to remember 10¢ under 12 and 15¢ over 12.
Later it was 15¢ and 25¢.
African American set in the balcony on one side and couples on the other side balcony.
Remember some stage shows. Mostly Nashville WSM Radio stars or new talent.
Bill Monroe is the only name I really remember.
Once there was a magician. The only trick I remember was a deck of cards that one by one
with the flick of his wrist they sailed to the back of the theater some hitting the curtain.
There was a movie called “The Thing”. So Alpine had there “Thing”. During the movie
the lights came on, and on stage there was a large maybe 6’x 6’ bulls eye. From the ticket
stubs they called numbers. Don’t remember what the prizes was but I won a 6 week pass.
There was one African American family that lived in East Rainelle in the upper part of town.
I seem to remember they had a restaurant. I remember the school bus that came from Lewisburg
each day to take them to school in Lewisburg.
Any one besides me go “snipe” hunting. Once was enough for me. Couldn’t catch those critters.
They were to fast or I was to slow.
From Gerry’s pictures I noticed the gas station at US 60 & Rt 20 was a Chevron.
When built in the early 50’s it was an Esso.
At Sewell Creek bridge Fred Grey had an Esso and wrecker service.
At the old bus stop was an Amoco station. They advertised “white gas”.
Never knew what “white gas” was.
Wes Roy had a small Gulf station new 8th st.
There was another Esso east of King Coal hotel.
Little farther east was a Gulf station.
Remember “Halloween”. Well I probably soaped Flints windows. (Sorry about that) (Not really)
With 2 bars or Ivory soap you tried to catch all the windows up and down Main. There was always
several groups of guys out doing their duty.
Holler. Go up the holler till the stream stops. Now there is a West Virginia word. If I spelled it correct pure luck on my part.
Just before you got to C&H Drive in, there was a trail up the holler. Head up that way for ½ - ¾ or some, turn right up a rather
steep hill and by and by you came to a small orchard. Apples and pears. No home, houses, barns or out houses there. Don’t know
who owned it and it was pretty much grown over. Pears were to hard to eat but the apples were pretty good.
Wasn’t Flints Hardware up near the old A&P?
Didn’t Walkers have a store in mid town. Remember getting bicycle parts at Walkers.
We purchased our school books at Rainelle Dept. store.
Do I remember parking meters in E Rainelle. If so, surely they are gone now.
How many stop lights today?

JL: I don't have a clue to your trivia question.
(Thats a hint......give us some clues. Or in a moment of weakness share with us the rest of the story.)

Chris_Dawson 51
Go to Top of Page

Patty Cox Osborne 67

128 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  21:23:56  Show Profile  Send Patty Cox Osborne 67 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Although we still live in Rainelle on Craig Road, we can't recall a Dorothy Osborne. Does anyone else remember that name? Was that a married or maiden name? About what age?

Also, I am wondering if anyone knows if Paul Miller is still living?
What years did he coach at Rainelle? I will be interested to hear if he really did get a car!!!

Patty
Go to Top of Page

Evelyn Utterback Drake 56

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  21:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Paul Miller was given a car.

Bob Houchins was the boy who was overage and caused Rainelle to forfeit those football games when we had an undefeated season. As I recall he had a strange childhood and lived with an aunt and uncle and supposedly didn't really know his true age. He attended either the '92 or '97 all school reunion.

Neff was the family that had the orchard which was above where the Catholic church is now.

I wish I could remember yesterday as well as I remember 50 years ago!!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 26 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Rainelle Reunion Discussion © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page