Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 26

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  22:40:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RE: Connard Estep post. Hi Connard. "Stoop" town cop was my father, Arnold "Big Stoop" Lewis. He was a town policeman when Rainelle was a busy busy rowdy (ha) town. I can remember him coming home in his uniform and putting his pistol up in the closet where we four children could not get to it. He passed away in 1986 at the age of 66. I remember: Annie Sanford (Nevill's mother) working at the Bus Terminal in Rainelle and her husband "Pop" and
delicious hot dogs at Mary Lively's restaurant
coke floats at the Rexall with a paper straw
the christmas lights strung zig zag through East Rainelle from Flints Hardware to the other end of town
the blue christmas lights at the funeral homes
Mrs. Yearego at the post office in East Rainelle
Peggy Bragg's mom and dad sitting on their front porch across from the school, waving at the students
the delicious aroma emanating from Carolyn Pauley's lunch box as
she opened it
Donnie Puckett's laughter
the soda machine at the Alpine that never dropped the paper cup correctly and it was a race with time to straighten the cup to get it full
Mrs. Maynard, Mrs. McCall, Mrs. Gentry, Mrs. Kessler
the 45 rpm record section of GC Murphys
Fred Gray and his service station and wrecker service
Gene Nutter (April's grandfather) and his business
the sound of the Meadow River whistle as it blew in the morning (that was our alarm clock for school)
so many memories...marilyn lewis bennett 65
Go to Top of Page

Connard Estep 53

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  10:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Black family's name was Mosley. I think they at one time lived down Snake Island road. their busness was more of a joint then a eatery.
Osborne was Dorthy's maiden name. I think her fathers name was Samual. She graudated in 53. My mother was an Osborne and a first cousin to Dorthy. My grandfather was Thomas I Osborne.
I also was on one of those stage shows. A lighted candle was put on top of my head, theater lights went out and then the candle flame was shot out with a gun from across the stage, believe me it was not blown out it was shot out..... Scared the he... out of me.

Marilyn, I do remember your Father as a very upstanding person. am sorry to hear of his demise. Please forgive me for the mispelling of his name.

Dale, put a spell check on this program. some need it bad. thanks
Go to Top of Page

Chris Dawson 51

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  12:21:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you recognize these names? Not directly related to Rainelle but fitting I think.
Bill Denoff, Taffy Nivert, and Henry Deutschendorf..

Hey Connard, how did you get snookered into the candle thing?

Sorry for my spelling thing. I try. Honest I do.
I try to write most of my post in Word and then copy and paste.
But still my fingers refuse sometimes to follow the message my brain has sent.

I can recall 3 shanties near the C&O railroad that are gone. One near the “Y” facing west near to Snake Island road, another across from and slightly east of the ol, C&H Drive In, and the last further down US 60 just past the RR crossing.
How about the cinder piles up and down US 60. They were used on the winter snow cover iced roads when the C&O had steam engines, Guess they use salt sand solution these days.
Remember the Burma Shave road side signs?
Remember the coalmine just down the road from C&H Drive in. I never saw it working but I remember mine car track up the hill to the shaft entrance. Seem to remember the story pony’s were used to pull the cars. I walked into the shaft a few yards on occasion. It was dark and the timbers didn’t look all that safe. There was the rather long covered shut that feed coal into the rail car. There was also strip mining around town that used a dump truck ramp to fill coal cars on that siding.
Was the owner of the Alpine and Trail movies name Lawson? Been trying for a couple of days to remember.
Saturday afternoon as a young lad what did I do at 2 pm. Spent the afternoon at the Alpine with Tex and Rex and Gene and Roy, and Lash, and Johnny Mack and Red Rider and Hop-A-Long Cassidy and Charles Starrett (Durango Kid) and Cisco Kid and Ken Mannard and Gabby Hayes and Smiley Burnett all the gang. Set thru those westerns 2 times at least.
And oh yes. Don’t forget the serials. How could you miss the next week chapter when the hero was in a serious situation after 10 minutes this week? Back next week to see your hero escape and more Tex and Rex and Gene and Roy, and Lash, and Johnny Mack and Red Rider and Hop-A-Long Cassidy and Charles Starrett (Durango Kid) and Cisco Kid and Ken Mannard and Gabby Hayes and Smiley Burnett all the gang.

I'm still looking and hoping and waiten:
Do you recognize these names? Not directly related to Rainelle but fitting I think.
Bill Denoff, Taffy Nivert, and Henry Deutschendorf..

Edited by - Chris Dawson 51 on 02/16/2006 19:00:31
Go to Top of Page

Norma Walker Zopp 45

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  19:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's ironic that African Americans could only sit in the balcony at the Alpine Theatre ... those were the best seats in the house! At least African Americans could sit in any seat on the Greyhound in West Virginia. However, when the bus crossed the Virginia line going East, which was on top of a mountain with nothing but forest, the bus stopped and African Americans had to go to the back of the bus.

The African American family of Tom Mosley [light skinned] lived in a house between Rainelle and East Rainelle. He worked at the Pioneer Hotel and the whole family was well respected. Sadly, there was only one school in the county for African American children ... they travelled daily to Lewisburg. I would love to know what those children are doing today ... they were so intelligent.

West Virginia was a "dry" state [well, legally!] during the 40's and liquor could only be purchased at the State Liquor Store in East Rainelle. Restaurants couldn't serve wine or liquor, I can't remember if beer was "allowed." Does anyone know the date when this may have changed?
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  20:34:33  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Classmates,

I have read all of your topics and enjoyed listening to each of you sharing your info very much....
I am George and Helen Aide's Daughter ..I graduated from Rainelle in 1964.... a lot of memories for me as well...with my dad having his first store where part of the Wallace and Wallace building is located today...

I remember when the streets would flood,and school was out. We would put our hip waders on and wade through the streets...main street had a row boat going up and down,I do believe.....I also remembering when my Parents moved their store up the street the name still being The Bargain Center....

The Bargain Center and GC Murphy were rivals ....Dad would have Rex and Eleanor come and sing standing on the tables...when Murphys would have the majorettes dancing on the tables....Dad would have me to work on Saturaday,, I would sneak out the side door and run up to Murphys to watch the majorettes.....I even remember the time Dad would give away live Turkey for Thanksgiving as a promotional ad.....lots of memories for me as well......these stories could go on...

Do you Remember the Bargain Center and the Red Goose Baby Shop?

Andy Aide Pendleton

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Patty Cox Osborne 67

128 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  21:43:20  Show Profile  Send Patty Cox Osborne 67 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
To all who have mentioned the Mosleys:
Doris Mosley still maintains a home on 9th Street here in Rainelle.
She is a lovely lady and, I believe, is a retired school teacher.

(And, Chris, we still just have ONE stoplight!

Patty
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  22:25:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy: I clearly remember your mom and dad. Your mother's beautiful gray hair stands out in my mind and her calm demeanor in the store. After our weekly Saturday visit to G C Murpy's, my grandmother would take us to your mom and dad's store. You had a well respected family and such likeable people (yep, you too!) Rex and Eleanor! Yes, I remember watching them on channel 4 but I knew I had seen them in person somewhere - just could not remember where - it was at your dad's store. Isn't this fun? Sincerely, Marilyn
Go to Top of Page

Connard Estep 53

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  22:51:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That mine was called the Lincoln mine to the best of my knowlege, and i was in it once but soon realised that was not the place to be. Back to the candle thing, the flame was shot out the first time... and then the shooter announced that to prove it was not a fluke he would do it again, after the lights went out i was told to drop to the floor after the shot was fired, well i did and you should have heard the crowd scream, i was not worried about them i was worried about that lit condle on my head... all ended well.
Don't keep us in suspense who are the people. J L who played the piano?
Go to Top of Page

Chris Dawson 51

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  23:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somebody finally came forward.
Should I give a clue or id the trio. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
A one word clue and less than 1 minute the entire mystery solved, (I just tried it)
The devil in me says I should let this ride for a couple days.
However since its late, I may as well fess up cause tomorrow is……..well…….Friday.
The clue by the way is GOOGLE.

As Paul Harvey would say, “And now for the rest of the story”.
Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr., was born in Roswell, New Mexico, but grew up all over the country. His father, an air force pilot, was constantly on the move, shifting from one military base to another. The elder Deutshendorf managed to set three world records in aviation, inspiring his son to have similar career ambitions. However, such was not to be; the air force rejected Henry Jr. as too nearsighted.
The young man then turned to music, and was given a 1910 Gibson guitar by his grandmother. He spent hours in his room, picking and singing, and imitating Elvis Presley. Later, at Texas Tech, he abandoned plans to become an architect, and moved instead toward a showbiz career.
Henry changed his name to John Denver (after his favorite city) and started playing folk clubs around the Southwest. One night, while appearing in Phoenix, he was "discovered" by a member of the Brothers Four. John was told to head to L.A., where auditions were being held to fill a spot in the Chad Mitchell Trio. On July 4, 1965, he got the job over 250 other applicants. Denver stayed with the group for more than three years, until they broke up in November 1968.
He tried making it on his own, and signed with RCA Victor. His first solo album, Rhymes and Reasons, featured his own composition, "Leaving on a Jet Plane." Peter Paul and Mary covered it, and had a number-one hit with the song in 1969. Two albums followed -- Take Me to Tomorrow and Whose Garden Was This? -- before John Denver found the tune that was to make him a star.
It happened in Washington, D.C., during an engagement at a folk club called the Cellar Door. John was sharing the bill with Bill Denoff and Taffy Nivert, who worked under the name of Fat City. After opening night, the three piled into Bill's car and headed back to his place for an impromptu jam. On the way, though, there was a crash, and John's thumb was broken. He had to be taken to the hospital, where a splint was applied to his hand. By the time they got back to the house, John was, in his words, "wired, you know."

Bill and Taffy then told him about a song they'd been working on for about a month. The inspiration had come while they'd been driving to a family reunion of Taffy's relatives in Maryland. To pass the time en route, Bill had made up a ballad about the little winding roads they were taking. Later, he changed the story to fit that of an artist friend, who used to write to Bill about the splendors of the West Virginia countryside. The second verse of the tune was a bit risque -- making reference to naked ladies and such -- so Bill and Taffy figured their song would never ever get played on the radio.

They sang it for John, and, as he recalled, "I flipped." The three of them stayed up until 6 a.m., changing words and moving lines around. When they finished, John announced that the song had to go on his next album -- and it did.

"Take Me Home, Country Roads" appeared on the LP “Poems, Prayers, and Promises” and was released as a 45 in the spring of 1971. It broke nationally in mid-April, but moved up the charts, very slowly. After several weeks, RCA called John and told him that they were giving up on the single. "No!" he screamed. "Keep working on it!" They did, and on August 18 it was certified a million-seller.
Take Me Home, Country Roads" spend nearly six months on the hit parade, establishing John Denver as a force to be reckoned with in the pop, country, and easy listening fields. Fat City later evolved into the Starland Vocal Band, winner of two 1976 Grammy Awards, including Best New Artist of the Year.
And Bill and Taffy? "Someday," they said, "we'll have to visit West Virginia."
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Imagine now how close “Take Me Home Country Roads” came to not referencing WV or not being recorded. During an interview for the “Wild Life TV show, John Denver stated the song wasn’t just about WV but going home and country roads. So many has the vision of going home and country roads. Denver said that during an Asian Tour he was surprised by the number that could sing this song and even for them, they could relate to going home and country roads.

I felt that all of us feel something special when we hear John Denver sing Country Roads. I suspect all of us have or currently own a version. John Denver has always been a favorite of mine and I have had the good fortune to see him in concert.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  14:26:34  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In 2002 my family took a vacation in Germany. The Germans apparently are fascinated with American "oldies". Our German friends listened to the radio constantly in the car, and many times the song playing on the radio was "Country Roads". Also "Nikita". Even though "Nikita" was about the Berlin wall, they didn't really understand the words to the song. When "Country Roads" came on, all of the Esteps in the backseat sang along! Everyone else just smiled
Go to Top of Page

Donnie Puckett 67

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  21:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is great!
I feel like I have walked the sidewalks, looked into stores and seen old friends who helped to shape my life.
Patty, thank you for being such a dear friend since grade school.
I am truly touched that Marilyn Lewis Bennett remembers my laughter.
Marilyn you know how much your Dad meant to me. He treated me like a son and gave me opportunities to learn things about people I still value today.
I would have never gotten my driver's license if "Stoop" hadn't let me take you and Karen for weekend van rides. You were very trusting and supportive.
Who would let a tiny little boy of a mere 5' and 100lbs. run a service station by himself from 11:00p.m until 7:00a.m.? "Big Stoop" did and easily convinced me that I could handle it. Of course he would come in from time to time and check on me and occaisonally have to kick the chair to wake me up!
I am in my 35th year as a teacher and I get compliments all the time for being cheerful and for smiling all the time.
How can I not smile with such a rich background that includes my great years in Rainelle.
For now thank you to everyone who has made this format possible.
Love ya Rainelle - mean it!
Go to Top of Page

jessica osborne 67

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  11:56:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had forgotten about the whistle! I remember the train whistles too and, of course, the snow and the Christmas lights. I remember the wooden floors in G.C. Murphy's, the roses ( think maybe wild roses?) that grew on both sides of the steps on the East Rainelle Grade school's Greenbriar street entrance. Does anyone remember Mrs. Wiseman, she taught first grade, and Mr. Scott who was principal?
The Neff property was one of my favorites. I used to "sneak" up to the lower edge of his property and pick violets and find strawberries
Whatever happened to Mr. Johnson who taught band at Rainelle High?
He was a very good teacher because I can still read music to this day!
Go to Top of Page

Patty Cox Osborne 67

128 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  16:37:06  Show Profile  Send Patty Cox Osborne 67 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I also attended East Rainelle Grade School and remember Mr. Scott and Mrs. Wiseman. Also Mrs. Scott, Mrs. Ruby Martin, Mrs. Hines, Mrs. Watts, Miss Utterback. I know there's more---help!
Jessica, Harold Johnson was a great influence on all of us who were fortunate to have had classes to him and participate in his band. Those were wonderful days! Mr. Johnson died several years ago of Lou Gehrig's disease. I'm sorry I do not remember what year.

Patty
Go to Top of Page

Connard Estep 53

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  18:38:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recall Mrs.Collison 1st grade, Mrs Amick 6th Grade, Mr. Perkins,Principal.
I bet Shirley Blankenship can recall more, How about it Shirley ?
Go to Top of Page

Pudge Miller Vandall 58

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  18:47:33  Show Profile  Click to see Pudge Miller Vandall 58's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There was Mrs. Harman 4th grade and also Mrs Buster.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 26 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Rainelle Reunion Discussion © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page