Page: of 26

Chris Dawson 51

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  18:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couple things came to mind.
Andy & Jean Aldridge – A&J Motel
Neff Produce
What was that restaurant just west of the Buick garage?
Updyke Funeral Home
In old Rainelle, on Fayette St I think, there was a large building and was it refered to as a “boarding house”. If so, were that apts or rooms or ?
Are there any hotels, motels, or over night facilities in town?

How come I am the only one who can remember the play ground.
Bars, slide, swings see-saw, merry-go-round, and the bull pen where we played soft ball or dodge ball.

Edited by - Chris Dawson 51 on 02/18/2006 19:00:43
Go to Top of Page

jessica osborne 67

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  19:05:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't Mrs. Crawford teach 6th grade?
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  22:32:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The playground at our Rainelle School was the best! Those were the slickest "slicky-slides" I've ever been on. The swings had long chains and one could swing so so high. I remember getting my nickel each morning at home so I could buy a "hot-rod" or a "Sugar-Daddy" at noon. Do you remember the old lunch room and those big, fluffy, homemade hot rolls? In the minds eye I can see it and smell the homemade scalloped potatoes, spaghetti and cole slaw - the metal trays piled high with food...I remember "sock-hops" at noon in the winter and can still see Richard Curd dancing...oh my...this is not good - someone is getting older!
Go to Top of Page

Pudge Miller Vandall 58

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  08:20:35  Show Profile  Click to see Pudge Miller Vandall 58's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The rooming house was called Brown's Hotel,if I remember correct. There also the 24 Hour Lunch, my Mother worked there for years. She workrd for Nellie Fleshman. It was open 24 hours a day. Does anyone remember the island in Meadow River down Snake Island Road?
Does anyone remember Betty Cafe, she made the best hot dogs. She was on 11 th beside King Cole Hotel and behind Leroy Martin's Service Station. You could get a hot dog and coke for .25 cents.
I remember the play ground. The old building where home ed was is where the new gym is now.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Dawson 51

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  10:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Betty café, I remember the café but not the name. Third grade, Mrs. Hines, winter day with
snow on the ground, lunch period, I went there for an ice cream cone for her. I think I was being punished.
Speaking of “being punished”. There was a teacher at Rainelle Hi. Mr Kane. He use to hand out some
serious punishment with that special paddle he had. I never “got it” from him but several did.
Go to Top of Page

Connard Estep 53

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  12:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I remember Mr. Kane and his small end of a cue stick, If that happend today he would end up in jail as he should have then, My how attitudes have changed from then to nowdays.
Go to Top of Page

Joan Rosewell M 55

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  01:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geeze gang, doesn't anyone remember the Fiesta Club out at McRoss?! That was THE hang out in the 50's. I think it's still there, but has changed ownership several times. In the late 40's the hot spot was the Ranger Club up on the mountain.

Pete Tucci owned the Alpine and Trail theaters in the 50's, although the name Lawson sounds familiar. Remember when the Alpine used to give away dishes?! That was probably in the mid to late 40's.

I remember Betty's hot dogs. That was our lunch place in grade school until they opened a hot lunch room during our last year. Those were the best hot dogs, even without slaw.

The teachers at East Rainelle grade school when I attended ('43-49 give or take a year!) were: 1st grade - Miss M. Collison and Miss Herndon; 2nd grade - Miss Shaffer (who later married Mr. Buster); 3rd grade - Mrs. Hines; 4th grade - Mrs. Buster; 5th grade - Mrs. Watts; and 6th grade - Mrs. Amick. All great teachers.

The Western Union office used to be in the lobby of the Pioneer Hotel. I heard a couple weeks ago that they were finally doing away with that service.

There was a teen center on main street in the early 50's, across from Hugart's, Crowder's Drug Store and Mosrie's Fashion Shop. It didn't stay open too long, but we had some good times there. It probably closed down when we got old enough to go to the Fiesta Club!

Nick's Diner (a.k.a. Dog Wagon) was operated by Nick and Lydia Micozzi.

Leo Holsberry was Postmaster in Rainelle for years and years.

J & J store was previously Lambert's Feed Store.

Seems to me that Les Landrum had a shoe repair shop also.

Our swimming pool was the muddy Osborn Hole, somewhere over in the woods just before you crossed the bridge to the skating rink (which wasn't there then).

Remember the grill downstairs in the Rainelle Department Store?

How about Lolita's, Mazie's and Walker's beauty shops?

When we lived in East Rainelle, the ABC store was on 3rd Street, if I have my streets right (we never worried about "streets" when I lived there).

I guess one of the most exciting things that happened there in the 50's was when Bowman Distributors gas tanks caught on fire up in C & O town.

Cassel and Otto were state troopers and gave us our driving test.

Coach Paul Miller left in '53 and Jim Brown took over as coach.

Remember Dr. Rupert, the dentist. His office was over Mossrie's drug across from Boley Chevrolet. Seems like fillings were $1.00.

Several of us worked at the original Bargain Center on week ends and we could start work at 15, with a work permit. Ann Waugh trained all of us! I always felt rich on payday!!

I don't remember the other comments about the planes, but I do remember when Turk Robinson, who was a military pilot, buzzed the grade school and scared all of us to death. It kinda seems like his sister, Frankie Johnson, might have been teaching at the time.

I have to agree with what others have said - this sure does make you feel old to reminesce!

It might sound like Mayberry to city slickers, but it sure was fun!!! It's too bad our children and grandchildren missed the "good old days" when you could go to town and feel safe and who ever locked their doors? I haven't seen anyone mention remembering a locksmith business! IF we had needed keys or locks, bet we'd have gotten them at Flint's or Alder's hardware store though!

Edited by - Joan Rosewell M 55 on 02/21/2006 16:05:33
Go to Top of Page

Pudge Miller Vandall 58

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  15:46:25  Show Profile  Click to see Pudge Miller Vandall 58's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I remember the Fiesta Club only when I was in high school it was called Geno's . Run by our now town mayor. Does anyone remember when it was called that?
Go to Top of Page

Connard Estep 53

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  16:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about the Ranger Club upon Big Sewell mt. Or lee's tree tavern ?
Go to Top of Page

Chris Dawson 51

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  19:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a vague reconciliation of Jim Brown. His dad was the Rev. Brown, minister at the First Baptist Church on 7th street.
Rev. Brown lived just east of J&J right in the curve-leaving town at one time.
Aften (?) Martin headed up the Boy Scouts. Someone was told to memorize this pledge,
“On my honor I’ll do best to keep what I’ve got and steal the rest”. I remember he didn’t
get accepted that first night. And no, it was not me.
First phone I remember stood upright with a mouth piece and the ear piece had a cord and
hung on the side. Phone numbers were 3 digits.
Hey……….for you folks living in Rainelle, are cell phones much in use there? Especially for the teenagers.
Go to Top of Page

Norma Walker Zopp 45

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  21:21:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A gentle question re Lee's Tree Tavern. I may be in error, but I recall there was a tree with a historical marker at the tree where General Robert E. Lee [Civil War] slept/tied his horse. This site was just before you reached Lee's Tree Tavern [best T-bone steaks you'll ever eat!] at the top of the hill. Too, wasn't there a one-room school nearby the tree ... the school wasn't used in the late forties ... I don't know its history.
Go to Top of Page

Pudge Miller Vandall 58

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  05:31:10  Show Profile  Click to see Pudge Miller Vandall 58's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Chris. most teenagers in Rainelle if they are like my grandaughter has one glued to their ear. Also there was a school close to Lee's Tree, it was used in the 60's I remember my couin went there, I think it was a grade school. The kids there went to Nuttal High School. Even that is a thing of the past now.
Go to Top of Page

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  10:37:13  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This makes me feel young! Just like 1968! Mrs. Cassell, wife of the state trooper taught second grade at East Rainelle. In the spring, the school planned a trip for the elementary students to go to Rainelle High School to see the talent show. For some reason, my mom didn't want me to go, so she didn't give me a quarter to pay admission. Of course, when everyone started getting ready to go, i cried because I was being left behind. Mrs. Cassell paid my quarter so I could go to the show!

Does anyone else remember in the spring when the East Rainelle students walked to the Dairy Queen and got a cone of ice cream?
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  14:14:46  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is so enjoyable!! These great posts have been triggering memories. Marilyn, I remember the swings well. In grade school, Jerry Osborne, my cousin Hilton and I and others would swing as high as we could (observing the comparative height of our friends beside us), then jump out yelling "Geronimo". We imagined that we were paratroopers. Fortunately, we escaped with only minor injuries. We also tried parachuting off my granddad's chickenhouse with umbrellas. We only tried that once.

I tell my children (when they will listen) about the toys we had. Corncobs with a feather (or feathers) in one end and a piece of metal fence wire in the other end, made wonderful darts. Hollowed out elderberry reeds made good blow darts that would shoot elder berries nicely. Metal signs made great sleds, though it was impossible to control them. Hickory limbs made great bows.

4th of July

A fond memory is the annual Rainelle 4th of July celebrations. I believe the fire department had a lot to do with them. There were games, food, a big crowd and lots going on. One of the boys' favorites was the greased pole. Someone would put a five dollar bill (as I recall) at the top and the first person to climb to the top got the money. My dad (Clyde) clued me in to wait until others had absorbed the grease into their trousers, then try. I did, but still only got a few feet up the pole. I would always resolve to do better next year.

Serenades

I was in grade school when most of the ones I recall happened so I made a phone call to my uncle Junior (81 years young & going strong) to make sure I had my facts right. A Craig tradition (maybe Rainelle too) was to "serenade" those about to get married. The "serenadin'" would take place before the wedding. The word would spread and people would come from as far away as Bellwood to take part in the good time. Actually, it was a good time for everyone but the groom, especially if he was from out of town and wasn't sure what these Appalachian-Americans dressed in cover-alls had in mind for him. I remember seeing some very wide-eyed future grooms. The future father-in-law would pass around cigars. We would run into the woods with the cigars and try to smoke them and not get too sick - or at least act like we didn't. People would bring band saws, cow bells, firecrackers and any other noisemakers they could find. Lots of snacks, Kool-aid, etc., were available. The highlight of the evening was when the group of men would put the trembling groom (and sometimes the bride) on a rail and ride him around while everyone made as much noise as possible.

I am going from my slipping memory here, but I think I have my facts right. One I remember was Dale Callison and Judy Sisler's serenadin'. I remember Dale's wide eyes as the crowd approached him with a rail. Dale made a dash for his car. Unfortunately, the group had thought ahead and had put his car up on blocks. He didn't notice the blocks and tried to speed off and broke an axle. He got his ride on the rail and we resumed making all the noise we could (what fun for small and big kids), then we slipped into the woods to try to smoke the cigars.

If the bride and groom survived all this, they had a good shot at making the marriage work.

Dale Tincher - Class of 64
919-272-8052
dale.tincher@rainellereunion.com

Edited by - Dale Tincher 64 on 02/23/2006 14:18:34
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  00:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Donnie, thank you for the kind words about my dad. He was the best friend we ever had. He continued giving of himself until he passed away. He taught several more to drive, loaning them his car to learn and take their tests. I have a picture of you standing in the service station with Charlie Johnson and the conservation officer (whose name escapes me). I'll try to figure out how to get it on this website. We were all so fortunate to grow up in our little town where doors weren't locked and neighbors really knew each other. Children could play in the yards at night with no fear. And Dale...I do not remember any seranadin' in Rainelle haha, we were the "Big City".
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 26 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Rainelle Reunion Discussion © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page