Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 26

Chris Dawson 51

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  11:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do I remember that Meadow River Lumber Co and Snake Island Coal paid in “script”?
Here are a couple web locations that has some history and pics.

http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/steamtown/shs2l.htm

http://blueridgecountry.com/FavoriteArticles/MeadowRiver_JF05/index.html

Yeah Dale, we were “city slickers” We didn’t make our dart out of corn cobs.
We walked down the railroads to find the butt end of a flare. Nail and paper wrapper
Included so we needed a couple feathers.
We used to take old Sears catalogues down to the rail bridge at Sewell and Meadow river
to make boats and planes. And with our home made sling shooters we would look for smooth
gravel down the rail line. No telling how many pounds of grave we added to Sewell Creek and
Meadow River. I even remember the glass insulation on the power poles were especially good targets.
Crab Apples. We use to do battle with those and out slingshots.
We gathered “milk pods” during WWII. Used for parachutes as I recall.
Cattails dipped in kerosene made good torches.
And there was the kerosene lamps. Every home had at lease one so when the electricity went out.
Was Turk Robinson a coach at Rainelle? I remember it was the high school coach that told of buzzing Rainelle.
Remember the carbide lamps the coal miners used on their hard hats. You had to have on of those to play with.
Aften (?) Martin taught us how to make a canoe out of corrugated tin. We had to scrounge for the sheet of tin and the road tar to make it watertight.
Carry that canoe on our back to the river. Lazy, crazy days up and down Meadow River.
Many times I think back and wonder how I survived alive and uninjured.

Good grief Charley Brown.
You didn’t tell me Rainelle was on eBay.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=rainelle

Edited by - Chris Dawson 51 on 02/22/2006 20:34:48
Go to Top of Page

Connard Estep 53

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  18:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about a little trivia...
I attended a Country music show a few years ago to see Vince Gill and Patty Loveless, when Patty loveless introduced her band members i was suprised to hear her Fiddle player/backup singers home town was announced as being...... Rainelle WV Can anyone identify this young Lady ? Don't Google
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  19:01:52  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Yes, The young lady you are speaking of is the very talented Carmella Ramsey of Rainelle. She performed and played for Patty lovelace for several years plus other artists.....It was a thrill for Rainelle when Patty Lovelace came to perform at the West Virginia State Fair........Carmella was great..and continues to be....

She is the daughter of Harrietta Erskine and Don Ramsey.

Harrietta graduated from Rainelle High School in 1964

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  23:47:10  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Chris, Marilyn, Connard, Pudge and everyone for more great memories. Chris, your toys were, indeed, more sophisticated than ours.

We had a lot of fun, but on the other hand, we often felt there should be more fun things to do in the Rainelle area. About 15 years ago, I wanted to take my son white water rafting. I did some research, asking several people the best places to go. I figured I would need to coordinate a hotel room, etc., etc. Most experts recommended the Gauley River in Southern West Virginia. I was quite surprised. I stayed at my mom's house, drove to the Gauley River and had a wonderful time. It occurred to me that we could have been doing that for many years, at no charge, if we been aware of it. Chris, it sounds like you were partially onto it since you were canoeing, etc. Now, WV promotes white water rafting, skiing, lots of tourism, etc. My daughters love the beautiful, peaceful WV mountains, especially in the fall. I no longer take it for granted and love visiting.

One interesting change is that when I was growing up, we never saw deer and saw few squirrels. I am always surprised now when I drive through Crawley, Craig, etc., and see large deer herds grazing in the fields.

Dale Tincher - Class of 64
919-272-8052
dale.tincher@rainellereunion.com

Edited by - Dale Tincher 64 on 02/22/2006 23:57:27
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  11:04:27  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you remember telephone party (shared by several homes) lines and e.g., when you said something humorous to your girlfriend or boyfriend, you could hear several muffled laughs? For many, listening in was more fun than the soap operas that arrived later. Or, when you called the operator and asked to be patched though to so and so. We talked about Dick Tracy type technology where someday, you might be able to make phone calls through your wristwatch. We are about there.

Mary Carr sent a fun item - the 1934 Rainelle Telephone Directory: http://www.rootsweb.com/~wvgreenb/history/1934phonebook.htm The number for Rainelle Motor Company was "47".

919-272-8052

Edited by - Dale Tincher 64 on 02/23/2006 11:05:35
Go to Top of Page

Tom Bobbitt 62

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  17:07:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I read the post about Rev. Brown (actually we called him preacher Brown), it reminded me of the little white Baptist Church right beside our house. We used to clean the church (no pay back then), just the right thing to do because we were close. We had a ball jumping into the sand from the 2nd floor of the construction of the new brick Church. I spent so much time in that Church during the construction, I had to show Preacher Brown and my father the light swithes so they could get through the first Saturday night it was to open for services the following Sunday morning. By the way, many of us kids did the jump into the sand. Don't remember anyone getting hurt.
The other memory that was triggered was the canoes made brom corrugated roofing. Carl Rogers tried our first one and used a 10 foot section. We discovered this was too short so the rest of us bought 14 foot pieces and had successful canoes. We actually took it a step further and built canoe trailers so we could pull them to the lauch point behind our bikes.
Just wanted to jump in with those two memories. I am sure when Shirley Blankenship finally figures out how to maneuver on this discussion board, she will supply lots of information. At least what she can publically tell. Just don't ask her about "Gone with the Wind".
Go to Top of Page

Chris Dawson 51

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  21:56:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How very interesting.
“Do You Remember” has 51 post from 15 different people.
1160 have viewed the topic.
There are more than 150 signed up in the forum.
34 people have posted one or more times.

No one is more shy, a greater introvert, worse speller,
better procrastinator, than I or me (which ever is more correct).
I was the one in class first so I could get the seat in the back of
the room and then slouch down so I wouldn’t be seen and wouldn’t be called on.

So why you ask am I pointing this our?

Well this is a CHALLENGE to all of you that have not posted.

Get logged on, signed in, and do at least one post to any topic.
A “thank you” to those who have set the web site up and maintain it is a good thought.

Besides I want to read your post.
What you have to say IS IMPORTANT
and I assure you I’ll read it.
I would only ask that you don’t use any big words so that I don’t get a headache.
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  00:36:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris: In response to your 2/24 post requesting people to get on here and post...haha you are so funny! It's great fun to click on here and read what you write, keep it up, now that we are all a little war worn in the battle of life, we need a good haha! Sure enjoy what you write. marilyn 65
Go to Top of Page

Pudge Miller Vandall 58

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  05:50:59  Show Profile  Click to see Pudge Miller Vandall 58's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Chris, I have really enjoyed "REMEMBER When" its take me back to yesteryears. When everything was so simple and carefree. It is nice to go back for a little while. Thanks to everyone for their posts. I enjoy going here each morning about 4:00 or 5:00 AM with just me and my computer. Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

Chris Dawson 51

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  22:31:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Snoopy. How are you today?
What do you think of the world in general?
What do you think about Life?
What do you think about taxes, theology, tadpoles, tamales,
time-tables, tea and those West Virginia Hills.
Well Snoopys got the right idea. . . . . . . .
If you’re not sure, just don’t say anything.

Oh, the West Virginia hills! How majestic and how grand,
With their summits bathed in glory, Like our Prince Immanuel's Land!
Is it any wonder then, That my heart with rapture thrills,
As I stand once more with loved ones On those West Virginia hills?

Oh, the hills, beautiful hills, How I love those West Virginia hills!
If o'er sea o'er land I roam, Still I'll think of happy home,
And my friends among the West Virginia hills.

Oh, the West Virginia hills! Where my childhood hours were passed,
Where I often wandered lonely, And the future tried to cast;
Many are our visions bright, Which the future ne'er fulfills;
But how sunny were my daydreams On those West Virginia hills!
Oh, the West Virginia hills! How unchang'd they seem to stand,
With their summits pointed skyward To the Great Almighty's Land!
Many changes I can see, Which my heart with sadness fills;
But no changes can be noticed In those West Virginia hills.

Oh, the West Virginia hills! I must bid you now adieu.
In my home beyond the mountains I shall ever dream of you;
In the evening time of life, If my Father only wills,
I shall still behold the vision Of those West Virginia hills.

Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  22:49:03  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chris, you are so great! I love your posts! You have brought smiles and revived fond memories for so many readers on the board. It was great fun to read the “West Virginia Hills” again and I'm smiling as I hum it.

919-272-8052
Go to Top of Page

Chris Dawson 51

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  18:53:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember the coalmines would shut down during the weeks around July 4th.
Watermelon and ice cream were special at that time.

I remember pales of lard and 50# sacks of flour in cloth bags.
Mothers would make dresses, skirts and other items from the cloth.
There was a product called Malt. I never knew what it was used for until I ask. Home brew.

Which brings me to the stage shows at the Alpine and “Grand Pa Jones”.
He sure could play the banjo and sing:
“They call it that old mountain dew and them that refuse it are few
I’ll hush up my mug if you give me a jug of that good ol’ mountain dew”.

Which brings me to another entertaining character that was live at the Alpine.
“Stringbean”. He also played a banjo. Don’t remember what he sang but
I remember that he was tall, well over 6’ I believe. He had that costume of
2 ft long pants and 4 ft long shirt and little round hat that he would flip at the end of his song.

Which brings me to “hillbilly” music.
http://www.lib.unc.edu/mss/sfc1/hillbilly/HTML/Home/Home.htm

And live (sort of (intro)) from the Grand Ole Opry (Click the “play” button on the old fashion radio).
(There was a radio very much life this in our home.)
http://www.radiohof.org/music/grandoleopry.html

And since we are traveling around, remember the Burma Shave roadside signs?
Do you remember any of the jingles?
The one I never forgot east of Rupert was:
Around the curve
Lickety-split
It's a beautiful new car
Wasn't it?

http://www.buildingbrands.com/lightrelief/15_burma_shave.shtml

Other road side signs:
WV Mail Pouch barns and signs
http://www.steveshaluta.com/mailpouch/

Ink-A Dink-Doo, A dink-a dee, A Dink-a-doo
Stop da music, stop da music! Iv’e gotta say dis

“GOOD NIGHT, Mrs. Calabash—wherever you are!”
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  13:18:55  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Chris it is certainly been great reading your topic ...DO YOU REMEMBER?.....

Come around reunion time we are going to have a special meeting DO YOU REMEMBER CLUB......featuring Chris Dawson as special speaker with a sign on the door reading
BEWARE CONTAGIOUS LAUGHTER IN THE AIR

Thank you Chris for starting this topic...it is unbeliveable...
as our parents would say "The good old days". Now its our turn to share "The good old days.....".

before I close I am listening to the radio station you just posted...the sound of "BEEP BEEP"
DOES ANYONE KNOW THE KIND OF CARS FEATURED IN THIS SONG?

Andy

Edited by - Andy Aide Pendleton 64 on 02/27/2006 21:42:28
Go to Top of Page

Chris Dawson 51

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  20:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy: Thank you for the kind words and thought.

"BEEP BEEP". Plymouth Road Runner comes to mind but that is just my best guess.
There was a song “maybelline” Cadillac and a Ford racing. Don’t recall a “BEEP BEEP”
Need some help from the audience.

http://faultgame.com/images/rrunner2.wav
http://faultgame.com/images/meepmeep.wav

Betcha didn’t know that I had some contacts with Mr. Aide, George.
But that would be a pretty easy guess, since most everyone in Rainelle knew George.
He came in the store where I worked part-time on Saturdays. I was on the late shift and for a few months
George came in just before closing and I would wait on him. George was friendly and polite to me a high school kid.
It got to where I looked forward to him coming in late each Sat evening. For the recognition I guess.

Betcha didn’t know that I knew George played golf.
That also might be a pretty easy guess. Some where I remember that a group would drive to the Greenbrier on occasion before Rainelle had a course.

Betcha by golly that you didn’t know that one Sunday afternoon my parents stopped at the Rainelle golf course just as George and his group were about to start. George “aced” the first hole.
He ask my dad if he played golf, which he didn’t.

As for attending the ‘07 Reunion, it isn’t likely. I live all the way from there to here.
Much to far to hitchhike and far to far to ride my mountain bike.

Besides I work part-time, self-employed. I have a prime location that is heavily traveled. I have been there for almost 2 yrs now. I work from 6am – 9am and 3pm –6pm Mon thru Fri. If I loose my location, which is close to where I live, I probably would never get it back. It’s an Interstate off ramp. I dress in my golf shirt, slacks, (shorts in summer) sneakers, golf hat, take my golf bag, clubs and my sign which reads – “WILL WORK FOR GREEN FEES”.
I have been offered work often but refused. Just looking for the “hand out”.
To date I haven’t received nothing, zero, zilch, notta.
But still this corner has great potential and I wouldn’t want to loose it.

Betcha by golly that just before now you didn’t know I played golf.
Well it use to be golf but these days “Do you remember” – yes indeed I do. But I can still walk and carry my bag on a 6700 yd 18 hole course. Something most of the healthy men half my age can’t do.

One golf joke and then I’m gonna do my Lone Ranger thing.

Young guy got paired with an old guy for a round of golf.
Lots of conversation, small talk, etc.
Older guys tells of past glories playing golf.
Late in the round the younger guy has a tall tree on his
line to the green. Old guys walks over looks over the shot
and tells the younger guy “when I was your age I hit it over
that tree". The young guy quietly accepted the challenge
and with the very best shot he had, launched it.
Well needless to say, the ball hit the tree and fell harmlessly down
in the fairway. Old guy with consideration for what had just happened offered an after though to the young guy “When I was your age, that tree was only half as tall”.

http://members.tripod.com/~ClaytonMoore/
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  22:06:45  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Chris I enjoy listening to the stories about Rainelle and my Dad...
My Mom and Dad loved Rainelle....they loved the people...
thank you for sharing..I do believe everyone at one time may have worked for Dad...The stories they share are wonderful to hear,, they always end by saying something wonderful regarding my parents as you just did..

Yes, you are correct about my Dad and golf....We are a golfing family....I am proud to announce I had my second hole in one this past fall.......It is fun to watch that ball roll in the hole..

Yes,, I did have one under the other day on the golf course....
I had one under a tree... one under a rock....one under the bridge..
that makes about three under ....Am I correct Chris?

Now Chris you must come to the reunion.....talk about a hand out...I will start a campaign asking classmates for a dollar from each person to get our Chris "On a jet plane...." be sure and bring your clubs.. I plan on beating you at your own game...lol..

Ok ,, You were wrong on one of the cars in the song "Beep Beep".

I will anxiously await your reply on the car.......

Andy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 26 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Rainelle Reunion Discussion © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page