Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jewellmorrisdean64

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  08:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been reading the posts about "Dennis" and had to chime in. When my Mom and Dad moved from the little three room cinderblock house (right down the road from the Ballangees) to the larger house (third on the left above the Sewell Valley Church) in 1952, our mailing address was Dennis Route. I don't know what the origin of the name was, but not too many years afterward, the "Dennis" was dropped and it just became Rural Route. So....I think it would have to be up toward Craig rather than McRoss.
Go to Top of Page

Patty Cox Osborne 67

128 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  00:08:40  Show Profile  Send Patty Cox Osborne 67 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey East Rainelle 'kids'!!!
If you had Mrs. Ruby Martin for a teacher, be sure and read her daughter's new post...Pride in my family.
Go to Top of Page

gridironmike

25 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  13:26:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I attended East Rainelle Elementary in the fifth and sixth grades ('80 and '81). I stopped by there today to peek in the old gym. The basketball goals are still up! What was the highest level you could attain at East Rainelle (6th grade, junior high?)? Rainelle had the Rangers. Did East Rainelle have a nickname? Did East Rainelle have any organized sports programs?

RJHS '84
Go to Top of Page

jessica osborne 67

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  21:15:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went there much earlier, maybe in the 50's. It was a grade school first through sixth. There were no organized sports or nickname. just a bunch of little kids having fun.
quote:
Originally posted by gridironmike

I attended East Rainelle Elementary in the fifth and sixth grades ('80 and '81). I stopped by there today to peek in the old gym. The basketball goals are still up! What was the highest level you could attain at East Rainelle (6th grade, junior high?)? Rainelle had the Rangers. Did East Rainelle have a nickname? Did East Rainelle have any organized sports programs?

RJHS '84

Go to Top of Page

Ron Estep 57

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  20:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jessica osborne 67

I went there much earlier, maybe in the 50's. It was a grade school first through sixth. There were no organized sports or nickname. just a bunch of little kids having fun.
quote:
Originally posted by gridironmike

RJHS '84

Go to Top of Page

Ron Estep 57

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  20:43:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Ron Estep 57

[quote]Originally posted by jessica osborne 67

[quote]Originally posted by gridironmike

sorry about that ,
I went to East Rainelle grade school in the 40s and like Jessica said there was no sports going on , except kids having fun. It seems to me there used to be a mens baseball team that played and practiced down at the ball park. I think Jim Brown played on the team , i may be wrong it's been a long time , but we tend to forget as time goes by. Does anyone else remember such a team and i beleive they played chrichton at different times, i can't remember what the teams name was. I hope i'm not trying to think of something that wasn't going on . If i'm wrong let me know!!!!!!!!! Ron
Go to Top of Page

Evelyn Utterback Drake 56

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  10:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read this recently and thought it was appropriate for small town life and our aging process. It was often true when I was growing up there.

"One thing about small town life is that if you forget what you did, someone always knows."

Not a bad thing at this point of our lives.
Go to Top of Page

jwpuckett71

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  14:34:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janet,

If you turned off at Keith Critchley's house and went up to the airport and kept going past the airport, that road comes back on to the JR&K Tpk. That intersection was downtown "Dennis". Dale & Lynn Callison's dad owned a lot there and when I worked at the courthouse '86-'90 I had to do some deed research on those lots at the intersection to correct some mapping problems. The lot just on the NE side (on towards Smoot) of the intersection was the old Blacksmith Shop.
Go to Top of Page

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  19:18:40  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, JW, I knew that Dennis had to be somewhere in that area. I thought perhaps it was close to where the old water trough is and that maybe the post office, etc., was a gathering place where a watering trough would be used.

I love it up there! At least in the summer time...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Rainelle Reunion Discussion © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page