Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Pennie Zickafoose 65

21 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  07:47:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,

Thank you for posting the message regarding Mr. Coffman. Did you change your email address? My messages to you have all been returned. PennieZ123@aol.com
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  19:34:23  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

PREVIEWS OF COMING ATTRACTIONS

Here are a few of my snapshots of Bridge Day.....
Many more and exceptional photos will be posted by Dale Tincher at a later time.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=prxi0xw.4so51e5w&Uy=-bm7k9n&Ux=0

Susie, Dale, Sarah and myself had a beautiful day. We were at the bridge from beginning to end....WE walked approx. 13 to 14 miles.....after crossing the bridge we walked down four miles to the fayette Station Bridge, then over to watch the jumpers land.

The jumpers achieved their accomplishment and thrill of the day, while the four of us were beaming over our accomplishment, the walk back up the mountain (four miles)..UP UP UP EXCITING...

We will all look forward to seeing Dale's photos and his journal of events for the day....

Andy

Edited by - Andy Aide Pendleton 64 on 10/22/2006 20:01:04
Go to Top of Page

jessica osborne 67

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  19:56:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great photos! I really enjoyed seeing fall and bridge day in WV. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  00:00:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pennie: I emailed you, did you receive it?
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  00:10:23  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone. After my daughter, Sarah and I, walked 12 to 13 miles with Andy and Susie, I wasn't sure whether to post this under this topic or the Fitness topic. Andy is an amazing walker. She walks out front like an Indy Pace Car or, for runners, a rabbit. The only difference is that she doesn't stop after a few laps, she keeps walking. I asked her where she kept the Energizer Bunny batteries. Thanks to my walking regimen, I was able to make it down and back up that mountain. We would have paid a lot of money, however, if we could have found a ride back up. Thank you again, Andy, for showing us around.

We did not see the unfortunate accident. May God comfort his family and friends.

Numerous vendors had a myriad of food and drinks, gifts, clothing, etc., etc. My daughter, Sarah, contributed heavily to the West Virginia economy. We particularly enjoyed a Cleveland Walking Club, a group of ladies in their 50's to 80's who walk all over the world. They had walking sticks, boots, small packs, etc., etc. They were very fit. They go on 20-mile walks and walk 56 to 100 miles per typical week. People were walking the trails with beautiful dogs. It was the last day of 2006 for White Water rafting and lots of colorful boats were going down the river and enjoying watching the jumpers.

The views were spectacular. It was a treat to talk with a friendly group of Chinese jumpers, an Australian jumper and people from all over the U.S. Some said they were scared. Others were just excited. I took and included photos of several of them. Many colorful jumpers had clever outfits and takeoffs. My favorite was one who had a tiny umbrella high in the air as he leaped outward (photo 27.) Some of the jumpers turned flips. Others spread their arms wide as if they were flying. It was enjoyable watching the jumpers make a couple of aerial circles after their chutes opened, prior to landing. It was exhilarating seeing the jumpers land, then release loud, happy yells. Numerous people can be seen in my linked photos rapelling off cables that reach from bridge to the ground. Others highlined from the bridge.

We were wiped out after that day, but it was great fun and I look forward to coming back next year!! I hope you enjoy the 278 photos I have uploaded. I took 4MB sized photos, but reduced them prior to uploading them. If you see one or two that you like and would like a print, let me know. I'll be happy to upload the original to Kodak Gallery so you can order it. To see the slide show, click here: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=u46feyk.8w0zzzjo&x=0&y=-9r7jd8

I love coming to Rainelle. Sunday, I went to the church I grew up in; had lunch at Linda's restaurant off I-64 with friends and relatives (great food); stopped by to see one of my best friends from high school, irrepressible, hilarious Terry Clower; then had a pleasant drive back with my daughter, further enjoying the beautiful fall colors. Dale

Dale Tincher - Class of 64
919-272-8052
dale.tincher@rainellereunion.com

Edited by - Dale Tincher 64 on 10/24/2006 08:44:46
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  22:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dale: Thank you and Andy for the tour of Bridge Day. I saw views in those photos I had never seen before. I remember when the bridge was being built. We would pack a picnic often and go down the Fayette Station road to enjoy the scenery and to see the progress of the bridge. Is the walking trail the old Fayette Station Road? Was the old Fayette Station bridge torn down? The last time we were down the road, the bridge was standing but was very dangerous with loose boards and empty spaces, yet we walked out on it a short distance just to touch it one more time.
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  07:21:53  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,

Yes, we did walk down the Fayette Station road...It was either a little more than three miles one way....Some of the pictures you see from down below are pictures taken from the Fayette Station Bridge...The bus that picks the rafters has to go over the bridge...It is a one way road...they make a complete loop around....The bridge seems to be stable. I am sure they have completely repaired it due to all the tourism....One of the bridges you can see bicycles crossing the bridge....Can you imiagine pumping back up the hill...(maybe Biker Chick will be ready).....NOT ME..

Another picture is a from the New River Gorge Bridge showing the Fayette Station Bridge...When we came to the top I showed Dale where we were...He had not realized how far we had walked.....It was a most beautiful walk......

I do want to explain why Dale said I was the leader of the walking pack back up the mountain....I was most anxious to get back up to the bridge to watch more jumpers because it was about to end...I did not want to miss anything (LOL)..

Several others had asked how we could stay and watch the jumpers after one was killed....I want everyone to understand we did not see the jump or hear about it until coming off the bridge at the end of the day...No one said a thing .....We heard of a few injuries during the day....That was it.....VERY HEARTFELT....Thank goodness we were not down the mountain when it happen......

Susie and I had walked on several trails all along the gorge....(not Roads..through the wood).....Some very difficult ones...some just to stand back and enjoy the scenery.....

Marilyn, I always appreciate reading your replies ....thank you for your response.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  14:25:38  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The First Day of snow ...Oct.23,2006
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=prxi0xw.47iypjyc&Uy=y5jw73&Ux=0

Information from Snowshoe Mountain : ....They expect the slopes to be open for skiing by Nov.22 just in time for Thanksgiving Weekend....

http://www.snowshoemtn.com/index.htm

A GREAT AND MUST SEE VIDEO

http://sagebrushpatriot.com/america.htm

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  19:51:21  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

GO WEST

quote:
Sat, Nov 11 2006
Currently
47 F
Beckley, WV
High 65 F Low 54 F

Published: November 11, 2006 01:09 am

West erases doubts, besting Buffalo

By Steve Keenan
For The Register-Herald

CHARMCO — In a game of marked contrasts, Greenbrier West’s smashmouth trumped Buffalo’s aerial assault.

The end result, albeit not without drama, was a 22-16 triumph for the No. 4 Cavaliers over the No. 13 Bison in an opening-round Class A football playoff contest at Cavalier Field.

Standout back Trent Walker bulled his way for 200 yards, including two first-half scores, as the Cavaliers dominated play in the opening segment and eventually went ahead 22-0 on Kenneth Holland’s one-yard plunge with 4:55 left in the third.

However, Buffalo went to its hurry-up offense as the game wound down and trimmed the deficit to 22-16 on a 12-yard scoring pass from Nick Harris to Ryan Vannoy with 3:38 remaining in the final stanza. To add even more concern for the GW faithful, Harris’ arm helped Buffalo advance to the West 30 in the game’s closing seconds before a final incompletion at the 10-yard stripe allowed the Cavaliers to finally celebrate.

The victory was a sweet one for Greenbrier West coach Lewis McClung, who admitted relief afterward.

“This was a big win for our program,” McClung said. “This is what we wanted to take the program to.

“It was a nail-biter there at the end. We’re just glad to still be in it.”

The win meant the 2006 Cavaliers are just the fourth team in school history to capture a football playoff contest, McClung said.

Like his coach, senior lineman Lee Hamons took a little time to soak in the victory.

Buffalo coach Mike Sawyer, whose team won four of its final five regular season outings to advance to the postseason, lamented that his charges didn’t play better in the first half, when West rolled to a 16-0 lead on the strength of Walker’s 2- and 1-yard scoring runs — the former which was preceded by an Alex Palmer fumble recovery.

“Offensively, we didn’t execute very well in the first half,” he said. “We dug ourselves into a hole, and it’s hard to climb back against West because they control the ball so well.

“We went to the 2-minute offense (late). We probably should have gone to the 2-minute the whole game.”

McClung was glad they didn’t.

“They throw the ball awful daggone well,” he said. “It’s hard on us, because we like to play a lot more smashmouth, and the passing game gives us problems if they throw it well.”

The Cavaliers rushed for 289 yards and threw just nine passes for another 40 yards, while Buffalo was limited to 32 rushing yards but wound up with 268 through the air, as Harris was 20-of-48.

Walker’s first-half scores capped nearly identical 12-play drives covering 65 and 63 yards. On the first core, West eschewed a field goal attempt on 4th-and-5 from the 9, and Jaron Childers went off-tackle for seven yards to set up Walker’s subsequent score. The second tally was aided by a crucial Buffalo facemask penalty and a nice 15-yard hookup from Childers to Chris Fitzwater.

Walker’s output pushed him to over 2,100 yards on the campaign.

Holland’s TD capped a 9-play, 49-yard march and seemingly put the Cavs in a comfortable position.

But, Buffalo, which finished 6-5, took the pigskin at its own 8-yard stripe with 1:22 to play and advanced quickly via several completions from Harris to, among others, leading receiver Jared Moore. In the end, though, West’s Brian Gray defended on the final pass, and his team escaped to play another day.

With the playoff monkey now off their backs, the Cavaliers now turn their focus to round two, in which they’ll play either No. 5 Wahama or No. 12 Notre Dame. Those two squads square off at 1:30 p.m. today at Wahama.

ALL THE WAY TO THE WV STATE FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP ...BRING HOME THE TROPHY...

GOOD LUCK FROM ALL OF US......

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  17:34:50  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mary Beth Decker Surbaugh had asked me to post the following Email...

quote:
#4 G. West plays host to #12 Notre Dame ( high school , not the college ) at Greenbrier West HS on Sat., 11/16/2006 @ 1:30 pm. The winner of this game will advance to Wheeling and play the winner of Wheeling Central Catholic / Pendleton Co.in semi-final high school football playoffs. Go West !

Mary

Go West...EXCITING.....Don't you remember classmates the football playoffs and championship?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  17:36:51  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
More details from the homefront by Mary Beth Decker Surbaugh:
Go West

quote:
Some of the " star players " on the contending Greenbrier West Football Team with Rainelle High School Roots

Brian Gray-grandson of late William R. ( Bill ) Gray, Parents-Mark and Linda Gray, Rainelle
Trent Walker-grandson of Johnny Walker, Rainelle ( Kennedy Award contender )
Alex Palmer-grandson of John W. Rider, nephew of Tom Rider-parents, Jabo and Robin Palmer, Rupert
Jon Myles-Parents--, David and Pam Myles, Sewell Mountain
Ethan Osborne-Grandparents, late Paul Osborne and Ruth Osborne, parents-Hal and Laura Osborne
Coach Kelly Vaughn-Parents, Marvin and Pat Vaughn
Coach Chris Vaughn-Parents, Marvin and Pat Vaughn

Not a star, but a very valuable 9th. grade bench warmer.....and practice-dummy and equipment carrier. ( Remember those days !) Tyler Surbaugh-Parents, Charlie and Mary Beth Decker Surbaugh, Rainelle . Nephew of JD and Jimmy Surbaugh. If I think of more , I will forward information

Mary

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  19:05:27  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Published: November 18, 2006 11:53 pm

Cavaliers run wild in mud
"CAVALIERS MOVING RIGHT ON UP"
By Dan Stillwell
Register-Herald Sports Writer

CHARMCO — Cavalier Field was muddy.

It wasn’t really fit for a forward pass or any other type of finesse play.

But to Greenbrier West standout Trent Walker, it was ideal.

The hard-charging tailback ran wild in the sloppy conditions, bulling his way for 238 yards and four touchdowns as the Cavaliers bulldozed Notre Dame 30-0 in a state Class A quarterfinal playoff game Saturday.

West (10-2) relied on its usual no-frills game, keeping the ball on the ground for all but two plays and relying on its workhorse back.

“Someone asked me earlier if that was our game plan. Well, that’s always our game plan,” Cavaliers coach Lewis McClung chuckled. “That’s just the way we play.”

And that always means Walker, Walker and Walker again.

The 6-foot, 200-pound senior carried the ball 37 times, mainly up the middle, and scored on runs of 5, 52, 8 and 1 yards.

He also ran two conversions and passed to Chris Fitzwater for a third two-pointer.

“Trent is not flashy, but he runs hard,” McClung said. “He’s had some big games before, but I don’t know if he’s had four touchdowns before.”

Walker’s first score put West up 6-0 at the 10:59 mark of the second quarter.

Notre Dame (8-4) seemed cursed by the mud, finishing the half with just 81 yards total offense.

The Fighting Irish’s big-play offense fizzled as quarterback Preston Musgrave struggled to get an accurate pass to his receivers.

When the pass was there, it often went through the hands of his receivers.

“We moved the ball some, but we were an inch off all game — an inch too high, a missed block by an inch,” coach Sam Alvero said. “It was right there, but we couldn’t grab hold of it.”

The Cavaliers decided the game early in the third quarter when Walker galloped 52 yards off right tackle for his second touchdown.

West wide receiver Adam Griffith sprung Walker with a devastating block on an Irish linebacker.

From that point on, the Cavaliers couldn’t be stopped except by their own fumbles — one lost, one recovered.

“With it being muddy like that, Walker slipped out of a lot of tackles we don’t usually miss,” Alvero said.

McClung concurred, “Field conditions like this really play into our hands more than for other teams.”

Notre Dame, on the other hand, managed just two first downs the rest of the way.

Musgrave provided most of the Irish’s offense, running for 40 yards and passing for 41. His younger brother Preston took over at quarterback and threw for an additional 20 yards.

Tailback Shawn Swiger gained just 19 yards on eight carries. He had scored two touchdowns last week in Notre Dame’s 13-7 double-overtime win over Wahama.

“Shawn was sick all week and we couldn’t give it to him like we did last week (27 times),” Alvero said. “He never would have made it.”

A week earlier in a first-round game, Buffalo had used its wide-open passing game to narrow a 22-point West lead down to six.

“Some of the things Buffalo did to us, Notre Dame tried to do as well,” McClung said. “Coach (Kelly) Vaughn tweaked our pass defense a little bit and it helped out today.”

West advanced to the state semifinals for the first time since 1991.

The Cavaliers will play at unbeaten and top-ranked Wheeling Central next weekend, the day and time to be determined later today. No. 1 Central (12-0) beat St. Marys 42-14 Saturday night.

“Believe it or not, we’re excited about an opportunity to play Wheeling Central,” McClung said. “Last year we had opportunities to beat them and we let it get away from us.”

GO WEST

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  08:19:35  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A new business in town....

Tiger Mountain Refuge ....This business is a pet store and a thrift store with the profit s going to the animals...

Please take time to look at their web page http://www.tigermountainrefuge.org/default.html
Be sure and click on the link photos, which is located on the homepage.

Below are a few snapshots inside the store a few days ago......
The business is located in our old Bargain Center store...

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=prxi0xw.1d95nhnw&Uy=-ig8lst&Ux=0

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=prxi0xw.5dkkq3d8&Uy=-4s93be&Ux=0

As you can see from the photos the caretakers of these animals are very nice and have brought a lot of interest to the citzens of Rainelle......We all should have caretakers for ourselves as they are for their exoctic animals...

We are looking forward to their grand opening with more exotic animals on display for a temporary time....

Andy

Edited by - Andy Aide Pendleton 64 on 12/03/2006 08:20:26
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  20:14:56  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Classmates,

These pictures are of my friend and 1964 graduate Colin Lively, he is a very talented and a well known hair stylist from New York. Colin dropped by of course with his scissors in his hands to do my mother, Helen Aide and my sister-in-law Sandy Aide's hair. Yes !!! he took the challenge on and proceeded with the entire family..lol......sorry no more pictures...lol..... We are all ready for the holidays.....myself, I am ready to make my snowman.....and to take on a snowball challenge from anyone...

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=prxi0xw.clcp614c&Uy=37yruf&Ux=0

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  21:41:52  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
YOU BETTER WATCH OUT

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=prxi0xw.6kcc1sa4&Uy=-kopeqw&Ux=0

CAUSE SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN

Andy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Rainelle Reunion Discussion © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page