New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  17:08:07  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good Afternoon,

Jean Carol Painter Farren, Ronnie Fleshman, and I were one of many that attended the services for Mrs. Grant (Sue) Collins at the Wallace and Wallace Mausaleom.

It was a truly heartfelt service with the eulogy given by her son Tink...He spoke of his gentle mother who always showed kindness and much appreciation to everyone who was around her...The "Thank you" she always said to her caregivers and loved ones for anything they did for her during her illness...

Tink remarked how everyone loved to be around his mother. No matter how bad she was feeling she always had a gentle smile to share with those around her.

There were so many wonderful well deserved things said about his mother, Tink even drew some laughter from the service remembering his mother. All of our hearts were touched by the beautiful service.

We all remember Mrs. Collins and her grand stature as a lady to be admired while showing her students the road to learning.

In the paper the obituary read, a memorial may be given to the Rainelle School Library in memory of Mrs. Sue Collins.
Classmates, I was thinking a great way to honor one of our former teachers by giving back through a donation to help purchase a book or books in memory of Mrs. Collins.

If you choose to send a donation, please made check payable to Rainelle School... for Library......Send to Andy Pendleton, Box 223, Rainelle,WV 25962. I will make sure the list of the classmates and their donation goes directly to the library ... plus a list will be sent directly to Tink Collins.....

A GREAT WAY TO GIVE BACK
Thank You,

Andy

Edited by - Andy Aide Pendleton 64 on 09/10/2006 19:36:57
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2006 :  22:18:26  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone,

I gratefully received donations from Clifton, Pat and Cindy Neal, Louise Gossett, and Norma Zopp for the Rainelle School Library in memory of Sue Collins. Tink is honored and pleased with your thoughfulness and your kind words. Thank you for "Giving Back" to our school.

I did send Tink the information as he has requested...

Tink, Dale, and myself are amazed at how this internet has connected so many of us personally.

Andy

Edited by - Andy Aide Pendleton 64 on 09/23/2006 22:22:01
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2006 :  22:46:25  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Classmates,

I wanted to share with you an email we sent West Virginia's First Lady Mrs. Manchin asking her to be a guest speaker at our reunion. The reason for such an informal letter is due to the fact I was searching for a resource on the internet as to contacting Mrs. Manchin for a speaking engagement...located on her web page was a place to click asking Mrs. Manchin for a speaking engagement, as you can see it is quiet informal but personal.

quote:
Dear Mrs. Manchin,

It was a pleasure meeting you at the West Virginia State Fair, August 17, 2006. You and Governor Manchin were very gracious. That did not surprise me, however, since it is well known that you are.

I spoke with you briefly at the Fair regarding a speaking engagement at our 2007 All-School Rainelle Reunion. We will be most grateful if you will consider being our guest speaker during the opening ceremony of the reunion. Several Rainelle citizens knew and loved you and your family when you were a young child living in Rainelle. Even though you lived in Rainelle for only a short period, Rainelle citizens state with great pride that the West Virginia First Lady, Gayle Manchin, lived in Rainelle. We are very proud of all you have accomplished.

Every five years, approx. a thousand Rainelle classmates from across the United States enjoy getting together, remember the past, and catching up on the present. The All-School Rainelle High School Reunion is attended by classmates who attended Rainelle from 1925 until the high school's closing in 1968. We invite you to visit our website at www.rainellereunion.com. Photos of past reunions are on the Website.

The date of our opening ceremony is Thursday, July 5th 2007 at 1:00 PM. We will enjoy three full days of visiting with classmates and their families.

I do plan on filling out your application form, however all of our plans are incomplete.

Thank you again, for considering our invitation. Please let me know if I can answer any questions. My telephone number is 304-438-7662, cell phone 667-9233.

Warmest Regards,

Andy

Andrea "Andy" Aide Pendleton (My father George Aide owned and operated the Bargain Center on main street Which grew to be Aide's Discount Stores)
Box 223
Rainelle, WV 25962

Phone: ________
andypen241@msn.com

P.S. Below is a link to several pictures taken at the WV State Fair, some of which included you and Governor Manchin:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=prxi0xw.66k4385g&Uy=f0fv58&Ux=0

Andy

Edited by - Andy Aide Pendleton 64 on 09/24/2006 22:50:24
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2006 :  22:57:28  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We do plan to follow up with a formal letter requesting Mrs. Manchin to speak at our reunion....LET'S HOPE SHE WILL CONSIDER OUR INVITATION. It would indeed be an honor....Andy

quote:
Dear Ms. Pendleton

Thank you for your kind request for the First Lady to speak at the 2007 All-School Rainelle Reunion on July 05, 2007. We were very pleased to receive your invitation, but we are not currently looking at events in 2007.

We normally do not schedule anything more than 6 weeks ahead but we will keep the information you sent us and if you need an answer before then or you have not heard from us please feel free to contact us again to remind us closer to that date, we will look at your request again.

Again, thank you for the invitation and if you have questions please feel free to contact our office.

Caprice Fletcher

Special Assistant to the Governor's Mansion

(304) 558-3588 cfletcher@wvgov.org

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  07:36:23  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good Morning Classmate,

The following is a news release concerning schools in Greebrier County reported from the Beckley Newspaper, as you will read this is a great possibilty. One of the schools affected is our beloved Rainelle school..It will be a sad time to see our streets not filled with our young students going to school plus another large vaccant building left to stand..The East Rainelle school is an example....

My granddaughter attends a newly built school. After visiting the school I can certainly see the need of a better place for our children to learn and play.

I do think the teachers, maintaince, and students from the Rainelle School has certainly made the best out of a declining situation by adding brightness to the halls and classrooms by using bright bold colors.. We also have great teachers with smaller classes. Another sad thing would be the traveling for our students to a school to another destination. It is my understanding the building has not received the ongoing maintance as all older building needs.....

The reason I bring this to your attention is not only the concern of our school....
OUR NEXT FIVE YEAR REUNION AFTER THIS 2007 REUNION...?????????

quote:
Wed, Sep 27 2006
Currently
45 F
Beckley, WV
High 70 F Low 49 F

CLICK FOR MORE WEATHER

Homepage Obituaries Local News Police/Courts Sports Cars | Classifieds Jobs Real Estate Today Special Sections Our Community
Published: September 26, 2006 10:13 pm

Consolidation battle looming

Parents oppose closure recommendations

By Christian Giggenbach
REGISTER-HERALD REPORTER

RUPERT — With five Greenbrier County elementary schools being recommended for closure, including the consolidation of four of them in the western end, parents and concerned citizens poured their hearts out Tuesday night, telling school board members such actions would be “great mistakes.”

During a special meeting that brought more than 100 people to Western Greenbrier Middle School, the board unanimously voted in favor of recommendations to the 2000 Comprehensive Educational Facilities Plan presented by the county school facilities and review committee. Those voting in favor were Jeanie Wyatt, Kathy King, Wallace Jones, Ed Zopp and board president Sue King.

The committee suggested that more than $44 million be spent across the county’s 14 schools, much of it in the western end, brought to the forefront by the negative backlash surrounding the defeat of the Lewisburg Elementary School bond issue last fall.

Citing declining student numbers and aging facilities, the review committee suggested the closure of Williamsburg, Crichton, Rainelle, Rupert and Smoot elementaries, and building two new schools combining students from Rain-elle/Crichton and Ru-pert/Smoot. Students would be bused to other schools should Williamsburg close.

With trembling voices, many of the parents, such as Sheila Amick, whose son attends Crichton Elementary, said consolidation tears the heart and soul out of small communities.

“I have a child that is the fifth generation to go to Crichton Elementary. We are a small community that binds together,” she told the board. “We have safety in our community and we have stability. This is a great mistake. You need to look again at what Crichton offers for our community and our children.”

Although the review committee cited statistics suggesting population and student enrollment will decline in the county in the next few years, Rainelle Mayor Eugene McKenzie said economic development in the western end will actually increase population. He said more than 447 jobs are expected to be created soon with the advent of a co-generation plant, a sawmill, sewing factory and steel fabrication plant in the works for the western end.

“We have a good location. We have a good identity and we want to maintain that identity,” McKenzie, who individually has offered college scholarships to students for years, said. “It is unbelievable to me that you want to spend in excess of $20 million to build a few schools. That money should be shared to improve the existing schools.”

- - -

Sue King said of her 14-year tenure on the board, “We worked very hard to ensure that these schools stayed open.” She reminded everyone the meeting was not a “closure meeting,” and each of the items discussed would have to be addressed by the board and voted upon after public hearings were held.

As for the 55 students who go to Williamsburg, Superintendent John Curry will present alternatives to closing the school to the board on Oct. 3.

“One idea would be to look how we can consolidate the services currently at the school and also look at the surrounding school districts to see if other children could attend the school,” he said.

Julie Cooper, whose child attends Crichton, said of the negative impact of consolidation, “God spoke to my heart and said I needed my voice to be heard here tonight.”

Rebecca Johnson said high test scores at Williamsburg proved the school should not be closed.

“Financial implications should not be the only thing that drives our schools,” she said as she almost broke into tears. “The small schools are beneficial to all students. I have a child at the eastern middle school who begs me every day to home school him.”

— E-mail: cgiggenbach@register-herald.com

Andy

Edited by - Andy Aide Pendleton 64 on 09/27/2006 07:52:12
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  09:36:24  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good Morning Classmates,

I have a few pictures to share with you showing a touch of fall starting to make its appearance. I am going to be away for a few weeks so I did want to start the fall preview of hopefully the coming attractions....I realize that these are as of yet not very bright ...Hopefully when i return they will be in their abundance of full color.....I hope your fall will be as awarding to you as it always has been is to me....A beautiful time of the year..

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=prxi0xw.5fy7gx0s&Uy=1j6v0j&Ux=0

Andy
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  21:25:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Dawson Inn at Dawson, WV, along side I-64 is the best place to stay when visiting Rainelle. It is spotless clean, has a very welcoming lobby and TV area as well as fresh coffee for the guests.
The gift shop has variety and low prices. The view of the surrounding countryside is "priceless". Lynn Durham, owner, enjoys chats with former residents. The best fried chicken we have ever eaten is at the Cheddar's Cafe inside the gas station/convenience store/cafe across the parking lot from the motel. The cafe has very early and long night hours. The food is home-made and delicious.
We had a wonderful visit home this past weekend. Although, I did not find a web site for them, you can type "Dawson Inn, Dawson, WV" in google and find the telephone number. You will not regret staying there nor eating at the cafe.
Go to Top of Page

Evelyn Utterback Drake 56

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  10:57:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phone number for Dawson Inn

1-877-332-3349

Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  18:15:53  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Ml for asking about my father....He is doing fine....Dad is home from the hospital. They just celebrated my Mother's birthday....I was unable to be with Mom for her birthday. It was the first time in ages I have not been home for one of our special gatherings as a family...They all had a wonderful time just being together, as always..

I have certainly enjoyed seeing new members enroll, plus an added bonus was seeing the names on the discussion board.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  18:26:14  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone,

I'm Back !!!!!! Has anyone missed me????

I have enjoyed reviewing the discussion board ... to my delight I have noticed several new members.......I have enjoyed all the new posting as I know others have as well.

The leaves on the trees are a few days away from reaching their peak...I do hope I will be able to take some pictures to send you ....The Cold weather in the next few days will really put the trees at the peak of our fall gala....

Andy

Edited by - Andy Aide Pendleton 64 on 10/12/2006 19:32:03
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  19:29:52  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Big Weekend: New River Gorge Bridge Day, Oct.21, 2006

Dale, his daughter Sarah, Susie Minturn and myself are going to Bridge Day...FUN, FUN, FUN.
Below are a few sites you can see explaining Bridge Day and the excitment of the day.....You also may google other different sites....

http://www.officialbridgeday.com/

http://www.bridgeday.info/

Would anyone like to join us? ...Maybe you would like to highline or just jump from the bridge

I did do the easy highline a few years ago.....The best part of it was walking on the catwalk under the bridge....lol...My brother, Gary did a video of bridge day....It was more fun than anything I have done for a long time....

Have you been to Bridge Day?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  23:05:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy: We went to Bridge Day one time many years ago. There was so much traffic we had to walk about a mile to get to the bridge. I was nervous about the whole thing because I could just envision that bridge falling down with all those people on it. I didn't go back...but those who do go are brave.
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  23:32:38  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Talk about people ML...they are expecting 200,000 thousand people...

All the people are only on one side now .....Police and emergency care is on the other side .............I just love the crowd and watching the jumpers.......Jumpers are from all over the world.....
Young and Old....When my brother Gary did the video there were five jumping at the same time...now they even use a diving board....and do tricks.....Hopefuly Dale will be able to capture the excitment with his camera....Susie is going with us however she is not going to cross the bridge......We are going to walk to the bottom of it almost four miles down and four miles back up..lol

I told Dale to put his walking shoes on.....

These boots keep walking..

Andy
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  00:11:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4 MILES DOWN AND UP OH MY GOSH A REAL TRUE BUNCH OF HILLBILLY'S HAVE FUN.
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  00:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Roy Coffman, our former principal, passed away. His obituary can be read on the Beckley paper website under obituaries, Saturday, October 21. www.register-herald.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Rainelle Reunion Discussion © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page