New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  22:37:49  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Classmates,

Nothing is new in Rainelle except the pool is not open as of today......

Here is our former City Hall located on Seventh Street.
Ok Gang isn't there some history behind this building....Maybe someone would like to share their knowledge about this building....

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=prxi0xw.a0wzcjcs&Uy=-om8zr0&Ux=0

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  07:49:59  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
HI ANDY,

quote:
GOSH, THIS PICTURE OF THE OLD RAINELLE AND EAST RAINELLE CITY HALL SURE IS NOT HOW I REMEMBER IT. I REMEMBER IT AS AN OLD WHITE WOODEN BUILDING LOOKING LIKE A SCHOOL HOUSE. AND FOR GOOD REASON. MY MOM SAID SHE WENT TO THE THIRD GRADE IN THIS OLD SCHOOL HOUSE LATER MADE INTO A CITY HALL. SHE THEN WENT TO THE FORTH GRADE IN THE NEW BRICK SCHOOL ON THE HILL BESIDE THE CATHOLIC CHURCH ON 13TH ST. I AM NOT SURE WHAT OTHER HISTORY THIS BUILDING HAS BUT I KNOW IT USED TO BE A ONE ROOMED SCHOOL BACK IN ABOUT 1928. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT WHEN IT WAS BUILT, HOW LONG IT WAS A SCHOOL, OR WHAT HAPPENED TO IT AFTER IT BEING A SCHOOL. ONE THING FOR SURE. IT SURE HAS BEEN REMODELED SINCE I SAW IT LAST.

Gerry

Gerry Mitchell emailed me with some information about our former city hall.....Thank you Gerry...

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  18:39:51  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is not how I remember the old town hall either. Perhaps this is one that followed the white frame building???? I remember going to the white frame building to get immunizations one time. My aunt went to school in the frame building too i think. She was born in 1924. Or am I just old and confused????
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  21:22:03  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You are correct Janet. I do believe it was a white frame building....We will ask for more info from our classmates...

Janet I graduated from school in 1964 and you graduate in 1968...We are the young chicks on this board.....hahahaha........

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  21:50:27  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good Evening Classmates,

I received the nicest email from Norma Walker Zopp. I just felted compelled to share this email with you, of course with permission from Norma.
Norma's kind response toward our website could not be read by only me....I wanted to share her gracious words with you my classmates.

quote:
Dear Andy:

This is a long overdue note to tell you how wonderful our website is! So many memories come flooding back and you seem to always know what we yearn to hear! So much has been posted that at the age of 78 I fear I will leave out something of importance that touched
me ... nevertheless, here goes ...

Rhodedendron in your yard ... I miss seeing the profusion of
lavender/pink blooms of our state flower ... my one try in DeKalb,
Illinois is a four-year old plant that is still only 24" high and
has yet to bloom. At least the leaves are shiny green!

Memorial Day photos of End of Trail Cemetery [has the name
changed?]. My parents are buried in what I'll refer to as
the "old" section. I don't get to visit their site as often as I
would like ... you provided me a visit! Too, I often wondered if
the cemetery above the "cow pasture" was cared for ... it looks
great ... who provides the upkeep?

The photos of your parents ... I remember both of them. While I
was a little younger than they were, your mother and I were in
Junior Woman's Club. She won't remember me but she may remember
Harold and Dorothy Zopp. I recall the New Year's dances in the
Pioneer Hotel and your Mother was the life of the party [we really
needed her!]. At that time I believe they lived in the stone (?)
house that Junior Ryder built in Lily Park ?? In 1958 my parents
built what used to be the little yellow house on the hill (two or
three houses down the road). My Dad died in 1959 and my Mother in

I was interested in the chapel in your brother's yard in
Lewisburg ... is your sister the artist? Does she exhibit her
work?

All the photos of the Memorial Day weekend were devoured [probably
not the right use of the word ... don't tell our grammar
teacher ... but you'll get the idea]. I have to confess that
because of changes I have difficulty visualizing locations ... I
can remedy that on my next visit, which I hope will be 2007.

Gerry's work on the yearbooks! Dale's time spent getting this started.

Because of the website, I've been in touch with Mary Gwinn. We were good friends when I lived in Rainelle and just lost touch through the years ... she and Jim taught my ex-husband and me to play bridge ... talk about patience! They were good teachers and I'm enjoying playing ofen now that I am retired.

This is an attempt to let you know how much all of you, who have made this avenue available to those of us scattered hither and yon, are appreciated!! It means so much ... THANK YOU!!!!

Again a great big Thank you Norma. I know I speak for Dale and Gerry as well as myself.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  22:23:15  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy Aide Pendleton 64

Good Evening Classmates,

I received the nicest email from Norma Walker Zopp. I just felted compelled to share this email with you, of course with permission from Norma.
Norma's kind response toward our website could not be read by only me....I wanted to share her gracious words with you my classmates.

quote:
Dear Andy:

This is a long overdue note to tell you how wonderful our website is! So many memories come flooding back and you seem to always know what we yearn to hear!

<snip>

This is an attempt to let you know how much all of you, who have made this avenue available to those of us scattered hither and yon, are appreciated!! It means so much ... THANK YOU!!!!

Again a great big Thank you Norma. I know I speak for Dale and Gerry as well as myself.

Andy

Norma, your beautiful e-mail has made us feel so good! I love the fact that the site brought back wonderful memories and enjoyment and allowed you to reach and learn about past friends. I'm smiling very big. Thank you for letting us know. This is very rewarding!

Please keep checking back. Gerry is scanning some wonderful history that was loaned to us from the Rip Johnson estate. Dale

Dale Tincher - Class of 64
919-272-8052
dale.tincher@rainellereunion.com

Edited by - Dale Tincher 64 on 06/24/2006 22:24:03
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  09:07:17  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good Morning,

I have a few photos of interest to any of you traveling to Rainelle.
The pictures are of the "Cornorstone Inn" operated and owned by Steve and Dianae Carr. This home was owned by Mayor Jesse and Marie Brown....It is where our dear Shirley Brown their daughter lived and grew up.....

After the passing of her parents..we the community was fortunate to have the home in the hands of Steve and Dianae....They have truly made it such a beautiful and welcoming place for families that needed it for any occassion... Thank you Shirley...

Steve and Shirley are cousins...Yeah.........

Thank you Steve and Dianae for making our town look great... a special place.....

I forgot to add the home may be occuppied with the entire house as yours....They also have an apartment.....to occuppy by day....
A great Deal....

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=prxi0xw.chepqvvw&Uy=-jd9brq&Ux=0

I have talked to Dianae previously to taking the picture ...She is allowing me to take pictures of the inside when it is vaccant...She was thrilled that I have even asked...So look for other pictures in a later post....

Andy

Edited by - Andy Aide Pendleton 64 on 06/25/2006 10:07:24
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  21:09:53  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good Evening Classmates,

A little belated message wishing all of you to have a safe and happy Fourth of July....Of course, I am doing what Chris did a month ago wishing all of you the same but a different holiday.

We certainly are missing our dear friend Chris and his lively topics...He most certainly kept the memories alive with our "Do you remember" topic and kept the board hopping with his riddles...Chris kept us dancing in our chairs with the beat of yesterdays music as we ramble through the website looking for hints of Rainelle...

We are anxiously awaiting for Chris's return....It will be like the sitcom "Welcome Back Kotter".

Happy Fourth of July....May God Bless America
May Freedom Ring throughout our Nation

Andy

Edited by - Andy Aide Pendleton 64 on 07/01/2006 21:18:38
Go to Top of Page

Connard Estep 53

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  12:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That photo sure does not look like the one building that I remember as a child. Is this building located north of Main St on the East side of 7th St ? If so it used to house the Fire Dept. and all Fire trucks, what happened to the Garage ? As City Hall there was a Criminal trial held there to try a Young Man for the Rape of a young Lady from Marfrance. He was found not Guilty. (Names with held). Also at one time the town opened the hall as recreation Center for teens, dances, games etc. Did not last too long. I recall Dr. Jackson held a Birthday Party for his son Carl in the hall, I think every Kid in town was invited. I know I went and had a good time.
I lived close to the Fire hall and was a Jr. Fireman of sorts, One day the Fire Whistle blew I hopped on the truck and went to help extinguish the fire at Eugene Walkers home on 6th St. Devastating time for the Walker’s and their Children. How many remember that Fire ?
Go to Top of Page

Evelyn Utterback Drake 56

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  16:47:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the location of this Inn? I see some commercial buildings but don't recognize the location.

Thanks
Evelyn
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  21:23:28  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Evelyn the Location of the Inn is on Main Street...It is located down several doors from Smathers ...beside Nutters Auto Wrecker place..across from the Moose club.....two doors down from the old terminal drug......

Hope that answer your questions.....
I always look forward to any remarks regarding the posts...

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pennie Zickafoose 65

21 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  22:19:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kenneth Napier posted a picture of the Brown's Hotel---where was that located?

Pennie
Go to Top of Page

Evelyn Utterback Drake 56

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  17:40:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brown's Hotel was in Rainelle. It was in the next block toward Lilly Land, on the corner, from the old State Police Hdqts. It was a big rooming house. My father stayed there when he first came to Rainelle to work on the Railroad. Housing had been put on hold due to WWII and he was unable to find a place for us to move as a family. It was not the most exciting place in the world. It had a big porch across the front that faced Meadow River Lumber. He got his meals and they even packed him a lunch when he worked.
I remember this so much because of rationing. It seemed we had to give him a lot of our rationing stamps so he could get his meals.
Go to Top of Page

Pennie Zickafoose 65

21 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  09:12:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Evelyn, very much for your reply. Pennie
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  17:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy: Has the pool opened yet?
Go to Top of Page