New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  20:05:57  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sadly no the pool hasn't opened Marilyn

I do understand there will be a news conference concerning this matter in the morning.

One other thing Marilyn I read on the discussion board where your mother had past away......Our deepest sympathy.....and our hearts are with you.....

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  11:19:59  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone. I've been debating whether to post this, but think some of you will enjoy it. Many of you know my brother Denny Tincher and his wife, Susan, from high school and their Rainelle radio broadcasting days. Like me, Denny has moved, but loves Rainelle. My brother, Donnie lives in Covington, near Denny and we enjoy getting together, along with my sister, Gail, when we can. We are all looking forward to coming to the Tincher Reunion in Rainelle, August 6th. I am also looking forward to spending a week or so in Rainelle at that time. Denny's daughter, Angela, pitches for VA Tech (softball) and is having a very good career, having been named an All-American, All-Academic and some other honors. Angela is in Taiwan, pitching for the World University Games team representing the USA. She has an interesting blog going from Taiwan that you, your children and/or grandchildren may enjoy - see http://allstars.hokiesports.com/tincher/

Dale Tincher - Class of 64
919-272-8052
dale.tincher@rainellereunion.com
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  10:17:30  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The pool looks as though it is not going to open

quote:
Rainelle pool opening hopes running dry

By Christian Giggenbach
Register-Herald Reporter

RAINELLE — If you’re thinking of cooling off by taking a dip in the Western Greenbrier County pool, don’t put on your swimming trunks just yet.

The opening of the pool in Rainelle has been beset with a multitude of problems and nobody has a clue when the pool will open this year, if it opens at all, according to Greenbrier Valley YMCA CEO Gerry Gessie.

“It’s unfortunate that the pool has not opened yet,” Gessie said Monday. “There is no time frame for the pool to open.”

Although the YMCA recently penned an agreement with the Rainelle Board of Parks and Recreation to operate the pool this year, the facility stands idle, waiting for the first splash of the summer.

“There are several mechanical issues with the pool that first must be dealt with,” Gessie said. “It’s a little bit of everything. We have filter issues and pump issues. It’s kind of like when you solve one problem, then two more jump up.”

Gessie said a series of meetings between Rainelle officials and his office will occur this week, and a clearer picture of the pool’s progress will be known then.

One thing that isn’t clear is the pool’s water. Currently, a brown layer of sediment covers the pool’s floor. Apparently, chemicals were put into the pool last week which turned the water shades of pink, purple and brown, and the chemicals have now settled to the bottom.

“That is one of the things that has held us back,” Gessie said.

Just how the chemicals got into the pool is a bit of a mystery, one on which Gessie will not comment. A Greenbrier County newspaper reported that Rainelle Mayor Eugene McKenzie placed the chemicals in the pool, an accusation he flatly denies. McKenzie says he has also written a letter to the Greenbrier County Commission stating he did not tamper with the pool.

“I didn’t put any chemicals into the pool. And no one ever consulted me about the story in the paper,” McKenzie said Monday. “If anybody did it, it was the YMCA who put the chemicals in. And the chemicals they put in are the right chemicals, it turned the water a bit pinkish and purple, but if you keep circulating the water it will work.”

If the pool were operational and the filters and pumps were running daily, the brown sediment would go away, McKenzie said.

“The YMCA has not done anything wrong,” he said. “The pumps aren’t on because there is no one here to run the pool.”

McKenzie said he doesn’t know when the pool will open, but he hopes the YMCA will continue its efforts.

This is an article the Beckley Newspaper was reporting.......with more to come .......
A VERY SAD SUMMER FOR OUR CHILDREN

THOSE OF US THAT LIVE IN RAINELLE KNOWS THE STORY.....

Andy

Edited by - Andy Aide Pendleton 64 on 07/12/2006 19:57:45
Go to Top of Page

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  14:37:58  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What I remember about the pool at Rainelle???? Not being there. When we were in school, access to the pool was by membership only, so that left out those of us who did not have the money to join.

What do I remember about swimming? Picnics at Anthony's Creek, Blue Bend Park where the water was frigid.....family times along natural streams and lots of fun. Swimming was maybe once a summer and a very special occassion.
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  20:20:10  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Janet, there was a pool which was built with the members money.......sadly it did not allow everyone to swim....
I myself also enjoyed swimming at Anthony Creek and Bluestone Damn....Even going to a Beckley pool to swim....I also was able to swim at the Rainelle Pool....

The pool of long ago is no longer in existance ....no one to run it plus not enough money to keep it going...It also became a public pool as well {I think}. It is no longer there .....

The pool we are talking about now was built a few years ago by County Commission money for the western end of the county....It was placed directly behind City Hall formerly Rainelle Armory. The town of Rainelle took complete responsibilty for the running and maintaining the pool......It is a long story....however to date no money ...damage to the new pool...etc.......

One note the pool cost aprox. 350,000 dollars more or less to build and Maintain....

The pool will be open again maybe not this summer but by the next summer..

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  20:42:55  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Dale,

I just was able to read the Blog concerning your neice Angela Tincher.

We are very proud of her representing the USA at the World University Games in softball at Taiwan

quote:
Hello everyone. I've been debating whether to post this, but think some of you will enjoy it. Many of you know my brother Denny Tincher and his wife, Susan, from high school and their Rainelle radio broadcasting days. Like me, Denny has moved, but loves Rainelle. My brother, Donnie lives in Covington, near Denny and we enjoy getting together, along with my sister, Gail, when we can. We are all looking forward to coming to the Tincher Reunion in Rainelle, August 6th. I am also looking forward to spending a week or so in Rainelle at that time. Denny's daughter, Angela, pitches for VA Tech (softball) and is having a very good career, having been named an All-American, All-Academic and some other honors. Angela is in Taiwan, pitching for the World University Games team representing the USA. She has an interesting blog going from Taiwan that you, your children and/or grandchildren may enjoy - see http://allstars.hokiesports.com/tincher/

I encourage our classmates to read Angela's blog.

Thank you Uncle Dale for sharing your neices accomplishments...

Andy

Edited by - Andy Aide Pendleton 64 on 07/13/2006 16:50:00
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  09:04:29  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Front Page News concerning the Rainelle Pool

quote:
Thu, Jul 13 2006
Currently
70 F
Beckley, WV
High 81 F Low 67 F

CLICK FOR MORE WEATHER

Homepage Obituaries Local News Forums Sports Cars | Classifieds Jobs Real Estate Today Special Sections Our Community
Published: July 12, 2006 10:14 pm

Rainelle, YMCA pool deal drowns

Health and safety concerns blamed

Christian Giggenbach
Register-Herald Reporter

LEWISBURG — The swimming pool deal between the town of Rainelle and the Greenbrier Valley YMCA has drowned and there are no lifeguards around to save the day.

During Tuesday night’s county commission meeting, President Betty Crookshanks said she met with Ron Fleshman, chairman of the Rainelle Park Board, and YMCA director Gerry Gessie last Friday to discuss the pool management agreement. The YMCA signed the agreement in June which authorized the organization to take over day-to-day operations of the pool. In May, the county commission pledged $20,000 to the YMCA to help subsidize its costs in running the pool.

“Although the county commission wrote a check for $10,000 on May 30 for the start up of the pool and another $10,000 was in reserve for the operation of the pool, the opening of the pool has not happened,” Crookshanks said.

During the meeting, Gessie gave back the $10,000 check — which had never been deposited — to Crookshanks and withdrew from the management deal, citing health and safety concerns and “due to the current situation at the pool at this time.”

When contacted by phone Wednesday, Gessie said several corrective actions needed to take place before safe operation of the pool could take place. He said the pool needs to be winterized on a yearly basis, there is no indication that the pool has a main drain, cracks in the pool need to be fixed and back debts to pool vendors possibly need to be paid.

Gessie has also asked the county commission to reimburse the YMCA $1,184 for upfront costs such as lifeguard training.

Swimming lesson for ages 4 and up, water exercise classes and lifeguard training courses would have been provided by the YMCA if the deal had not fallen through.

In 2004, the commission allocated nearly $500,000 from the county’s hotel/motel tax to build the pool. The agreement called for the town of Rainelle to pay for its upkeep.

Fleshman said his board will meet today to discuss the pool situation, but it would “take a miracle for the pool to open this year.”

In addition to management of the pool, another major problem is the lack of lifeguards, according to Fleshman. The ones who were scheduled to work in Rainelle have already secured employment elsewhere.

“There were too many roadblocks for the YMCA to open the pool this year,” Fleshman said Wednesday. “The pool leaks incessantly, we had broken pipes over the winter and the vacuum will not sweep the bottom of the pool. If you can’t keep the pool clean, you can’t open the pool.”

A recent controversy over chemicals added to the pool to help clean the muddy, iron water used to fill it, also added to the downfall of the agreement, Fleshman said. Just who added the chemicals to the pool is as murky as the brown layer of sediment which now covers the floor of the pool.

Contrary to published reports, water company officials never advised him to add potassium permanganate to help clear the muddy water and he personally did not witness who did, he said.

“After someone added the chemicals, the water turned a dark purple and eventually it did clear the water up,” he said. “However, the vacuum system does not work and their is a brown layer of sediment on the bottom of the pool.”

And what about the kids of western Greenbrier County dreaming of butterfly strokes and cannonballs?

“It’s a real shame the pool is not open for the kids,” Fleshman said.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  23:13:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy: Thank you for the information concerning the pool. It is sad to know that the young people will not have a pool again this year.
I remember years ago when the western end of Greenbrier County had a midget league football team. The bickerings and dissention of the adults caused that program to be done away with. It's time for the politicians in Lewisburg to step up to the plate and help our area of Greenbrier County with more than perfunctory handouts.
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  23:14:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dale: We are so glad you posted the information about Denny's daughter, your neice. It will make the games even more interesting to watch knowing there is a West Virginia connection! Thanks for posting that.
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  02:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the Beckley Post Herald. (www.register-herald.com)
Congrats to Mayor McKenzie for these accomplishments.

Christian Giggenbach
The Register-Herald

RAINELLE — Mayor Eugene McKenzie released a report to town council members this week outlining his first year in office, stating “considerable improvements” have been made in the past year.

In the five-page report, McKenzie said although the town is still in debt, all of the bank accounts have been reconciled and financial statements are being produced for all departments.

“The different departments have been improved by establishing computer databases in order to maintain up-to-date records, as well as a filing system for easy access and understanding,” the report stated.

Police department upgrades include a new police vehicle — through a grant — plus a new chief of police, J.T. Stevens. A new water operator and water operator trainee have been hired by the water company in the past six months.

They mayor also said many improvements to the Rainelle Municipal Center have also been added.

“The beautification of the facility has been enhanced with the addition of many shrubs and trees,” he said. “Additional parking is available in the new parking lot on the opposite side of the administrative offices. Two new employees are now in place inside the city hall and great improvements have been made in record keeping, cleanliness and the administrative part of the city hall.”

Although the city pool has yet to be opened, McKenzie said a new board of Parks and Recreation has taken full responsibility for the pool, parks, tennis courts and golf course and are doing “an excellent job.”

n n n

A forklift used at the recycling center has been repaired and the recycling of newspaper and cardboard has been greatly improved and is now operated on a part-time basis by the town employees, he said. Nearly 60 tons of recycled paper has been sold in the past year and 30 more tons are on hand.

“This has saved the town a considerable amount of money by not having to take this to the county landfill at a tipping fee of $42 per ton,” he said. “This is a savings of approximately $3,780 in addition to the revenue received for selling the recycled material was approximately $3,024.75.”

n n n

The mayor listed the following grants totaling $678,555 as received by the town this year: 2005 Sidewalk Grant, $394,065; Walking Trail Grant, $99,914; Litter Control Grant, $6,097; Police Car Grant, $21,527; 2005 Local Economic Development Grant, $92,000; 2006 Governor’s Community Grant, $10,000; Recycling Center Grant, $10,000.

Other grants include a skateboard grant for $50,000 and a paving grant for $10,000.

McKenzie intends to apply for additional grants in the coming year that would bring the total amount of funding to $1 million during his two years in office.

n n n

The Greenbrier County Commission allocated $27,000 for resurfacing and drainage repair to the town’s tennis courts and the town has acquired the old CSX depot for $500 and is establishing a historical project for the town under the direction of John Wyatt, historical board director, the mayor said.

“History is very important and needs to be taken into consideration in every way possible to establish the history of our town,” he said. “The town is also in the process of acquiring the old car shop behind the city hall for the purpose of creating a new city police department headquarters.”

The old city hall has been put up for sale and the old State Police headquarters will be awarded to the town at no cost, he said. In regard to the Co-Generation Plant being built in the town, the mayor anticipates over $1 million will be garnered in taxes to improve the town’s infrastructure.

“It’s important for the town council, the citizens of the town and the citizens in the area to work diligently together to make our town a better place and one that we all can be proud of,” McKenzie said.

All information was provided by Mayor McKenzie and the Town of Rainelle.

— E-mail:

cgiggenbach@register-herald.com

Go to Top of Page

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  18:45:13  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Since no other people are posting messages these days, I feel like i'm in a room all by myself. But I found this web site http://www.supportwvtroops.com/ that has info about National Guard units from WV. It seems to me that the site may need to be updated, but it did have a link where you can email troops on the "Dear Abby" site. Does anyone else have info about supporting the Rainelle troops or ways to communicate with them?
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  00:06:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janet- I know the feeling of posting to an empty room. lol. Kinda makes a person feel uh like they are standing on banana peel with no one to grab ya...look in those books and see if you can find a Hezikiah Lewis, or a George Lewis who was born in Ireland and came to America in the late 1700's as a child with his father and his mother whose name was Jane Call Lewis. We'll post about that for a few days
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  00:08:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Non-Rainelle news - my little grandson whom I have babysat for 4 years will start kindergarten August 14. If anyone knows of a cure for the "empty grandma's arms" syndrome, please post it here. weep. weep.
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  00:12:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is not a link, you can type it into your browser. A very dear friend of mine has a son serving in the Israeli volunteer army. see
www.jerusalemguardians.org. Please read the whole site and check out the information links. If you felt lead to help, it would be greatly appreciated. Pray for the peace of Jerusalem.
Go to Top of Page

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  10:26:52  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Marilyn, whew, i'm glad somebody else is out there!!!!

A quick check of my census books lists these Lewises for Greenbrier in 1790 (actually 1783-1786 tax lists): Hezekiah Lewis and George Lewis, also Benjamin Lewis, James Lewis, John Lewis, Jr., and John Lewis, Sr., Samuel Lewis, and Wilson Lewis.

In the 1820 Greenbrier Census we have:

George Lewis Jr.: 1 male 26-45, 2 males 0-10, 1 female 26-45, 1 female 16-26, and 1 female 0-10

George Lewis, son of Hezekiah: 1 male 26-45, 1 male 10-16, 1 male 0-10, 1 female 26-45, 2 females 0-10

George Lewis, son of George: 1 male 16-26, 1 male 0-10, 1 female 26-45, 1 female 0-10

George Lewis Sr.: 1 male 45 & over, 2 males 16-26, 2 males 0-10, 1 female 45 & over, 1 female 16-26, 1 female 10-16, 1 female 0-10.
(This means that the latest birth date for the 45+ male & female would be 1775...possibly ANY date before that)

Hezekiah Lewis: 1 male 45 and over, 2 males 16-26, 1 female 45 and over, 1 female 16-26, 1 female 10-16.

John Lewis: 1 male 26-45, 1 male 0-10, 1 female 26-45, 2 females 0-10.

I'll see if I can find anything else on the Lewises.

By the way, are you related to any Bennetts from Nicholas Co. I have a line of Bennetts in my mother's family from Nicholas, my great-great grandmother was Mary Ann Bennett Humphries, daughter of John Bennett and Catherine Quickle.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Rainelle Reunion Discussion © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page